Super low GPA... Any Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFabulasity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 28 y/o female who graduated from a "highly selective liberal arts" school in 2011 with a BA in Behavioral Neuroscience. I won't bore y'all with the unfortunate life events that I experienced during undergrad. However, I was dealing with a lot an my grades suffered. My cGPA is ~2.3, and my sGPA is ~1.71 for Allopathic and ~1.76 Osteopathic.

Below are the prereqs that I've taken that contribute to my low sGPA:

Organisms F (taken Spring 2008)
Cells C- (taken Fall 2008)
Organisms C (retaken Spring 2009)
Gen Chem I D- (taken Fall 2009)
Physics I C- (taken Fall 2009)
Gen Chem 2 D- (taken Spring 2010)

I completed several upper level science courses during my upgrade including Human Physiology B, Molecular Development C+, Psychopharmacology B, Neuroscience B+, Stem Cell and Cell Signaling B+.

Unfortunately, I lost my job and I was able to I start a DIY post bac program Spring '16. I was able to retake Gen Chem I- B+, Bio 1- B+, Bio II A-, Sociology A, English Course A-. My cGPA increased to 2.46 and 2.03 for Allopathic and 2.11 for Osteopathic (w/o grade replacement). I still need to take the remainder of the pre-reqs (Physics II, Chem Chem II, Orgo I, Orgo II and Biochem).

I plan to do well and earn an A in the rest of my pre-reqs. I also plan on taking several (~17) upper level science courses. With this plan I hope to keep my post bacc GPA at 3.7, raise my cGPA to 3.01 my sGPA for Allopathic to 3.11 and Osteopathic sGPA to 3.19 (w/o grade replacement).

I'm not really sure what to do after this. Would I be competitive enough to apply to an SMP? I'm interested in BU MAAMS program if I go that route. Should I take more "upper level" courses to increase my GPA? Or should I apply to school that do not pre-screen? I know that I need to do very well on the MCAT 512+. I've also read thats its wise to apply to my state MD school. Is this true for Ivy legues?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Have you read the DrMidLife threads on GPA redemption? If not, reading through her posts on this topic is a MUST if your are serious about GPA redemption.

2) There is almost ten years between you and the old grades; this is positive. It seems like you are on the right path and know what your targets are (i.e. Minimum MCAT to apply and GPA floor). Now you just need to do what you've said you'll do.

3) Application strategy for you is going to be crucial. None of the Ivies are public schools and most a research focused. The in-state preference is because most publicly funded universities (and some small private mission focused universities/HBCUs) have a mission/interest in increasing the number of primary care doctors practicing in their state. This is not true of the Ivies which tend to have a greater research focus. You should look at the advice in the low GPA threads on application strategies. You'll note that most successful applicants with redeemed GPAs had to do what you've listed above AND had strategic application strategies.

You have a long road but it is possible...especially if you are interested in DO. I wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
read this:
Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

I am a 28 y/o female who graduated from a "highly selective liberal arts" school in 2011 with a BA in Behavioral Neuroscience. I won't bore y'all with the unfortunate life events that I experienced during undergrad. However, I was dealing with a lot an my grades suffered. My cGPA is ~2.3, and my sGPA is ~1.71 for Allopathic and ~1.76 Osteopathic.

Below are the prereqs that I've taken that contribute to my low sGPA:

Organisms F (taken Spring 2008)
Cells C- (taken Fall 2008)
Organisms C (retaken Spring 2009)
Gen Chem I D- (taken Fall 2009)
Physics I C- (taken Fall 2009)
Gen Chem 2 D- (taken Spring 2010)

I completed several upper level science courses during my upgrade including Human Physiology B, Molecular Development C+, Psychopharmacology B, Neuroscience B+, Stem Cell and Cell Signaling B+.

Unfortunately, I lost my job and I was able to I start a DIY post bac program Spring '16. I was able to retake Gen Chem I- B+, Bio 1- B+, Bio II A-, Sociology A, English Course A-. My cGPA increased to 2.46 and 2.03 for Allopathic and 2.11 for Osteopathic (w/o grade replacement). I still need to take the remainder of the pre-reqs (Physics II, Chem Chem II, Orgo I, Orgo II and Biochem).

I plan to do well and earn an A in the rest of my pre-reqs. I also plan on taking several (~17) upper level science courses. With this plan I hope to keep my post bacc GPA at 3.7, raise my cGPA to 3.01 my sGPA for Allopathic to 3.11 and Osteopathic sGPA to 3.19 (w/o grade replacement).

I'm not really sure what to do after this. Would I be competitive enough to apply to an SMP? I'm interested in BU MAAMS program if I go that route. Should I take more "upper level" courses to increase my GPA? Or should I apply to school that do not pre-screen? I know that I need to do very well on the MCAT 512+. I've also read thats its wise to apply to my state MD school. Is this true for Ivy legues?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Forget about Ivy leagues. That's not happening. Finish your pre-req's and get straight A's and then study for and take the MCAT.

SMP's have GPA and MCAT cutoff's so you can only think about them after you have your pre-req's and the MCAT. Those cutoff's are something like 3.0 and and a 25-27 equivalent for the old MCAT. Those are the schools who have an SMP worth applying too. I wouldn't apply to just any SMP; I mean you want it to lead to an interview at least when you're investing the time and the money.

These guys above me are being too kind to you. If you ask me, you stand no chance at almost any US MD program. If you want to go down the DO route, you need at least two years of solid, blemish-free work + an MCAT five points higher than the schools average.

If you are down to do that, go for it. If not, be careful going down the US med school route. Most people are not applying with those stats.

1) Have you read the DrMidLife threads on GPA redemption? If not, reading through her posts on this topic is a MUST if your are serious about GPA redemption.

2) There is almost ten years between you and the old grades; this is positive. It seems like you are on the right path and know what your targets are (i.e. Minimum MCAT to apply and GPA floor). Now you just need to do what you've said you'll do.

3) Application strategy for you is going to be crucial. None of the Ivies are public schools and most a research focused. The in-state preference is because most publicly funded universities (and some small private mission focused universities/HBCUs) have a mission/interest in increasing the number of primary care doctors practicing in their state. This is not true of the Ivies which tend to have a greater research focus. You should look at the advice in the low GPA threads on application strategies. You'll note that most successful applicants with redeemed GPAs had to do what you've listed above AND had strategic application strategies.

You have a long road but it is possible...especially if you are interested in DO. I wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you so much for directing me to DrMidLife's thread. I really appreciate it. I have always been more interested in attending DO school than MD school. I know that I have to work my butt off to get where I need to be.

Forget about Ivy leagues. That's not happening. Finish your pre-req's and get straight A's and then study for and take the MCAT.

SMP's have GPA and MCAT cutoff's so you can only think about them after you have your pre-req's and the MCAT. Those cutoff's are something like 3.0 and and a 25-27 equivalent for the old MCAT. Those are the schools who have an SMP worth applying too. I wouldn't apply to just any SMP; I mean you want it to lead to an interview at least when you're investing the time and the money.

These guys above me are being too kind to you. If you ask me, you stand no chance at almost any US MD program. If you want to go down the DO route, you need at least two years of solid, blemish-free work + an MCAT five points higher than the schools average.

If you are down to do that, go for it. If not, be careful going down the US med school route. Most people are not applying with those stats.

I wasn't interested in applying to any Ivy leagues. I wanted clarification on if l "state MD school" included my state Ivy. As stated above 0 I have always been interested in the DO route. I have a long road ahead of me but anything worth having is worth fighting for. I appreciate your response!