Super low OPP grade, how screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I am about to finish my last block in my first year of med school. was quite a journey so far, but I do have some worries going into the summer that i hope some of you may help me understand and cope with better.

I am pretty average in my class (~50%'ile, mostly B's with 1 or 2 high C's). However, I am finishing OPP with a 73%, barely passing (average for the class is around low-mid 80's). I know its not really a big deal to worry about preclinical grades, but this will bring my class rank to slightly below average.

How will this impact my chances for IM? im not sure how much OPP matters to different residencies and was wondering what some of you may think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you do not fail, this will not effect your chances for applying to IM. Continue to do as well as you can in class and your boards, honor your IM shelf, get some good Sub-I/aways to get solid letters +/- research if you're into it and you'll be good to go.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If you were applying to my residency (though non IM) I would view it favorably that you are almost failing OMM. High OMM grades might be a red flag, and I would search their application to make sure they are not a Still acolyte. It won't impact your chances for IM.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly A's my first two years of school, OMM was the only written test I ever failed lol. I consider it a source of pride at this point more than anything. I have a difficult time imagining anyone giving you a hard time over a mediocre omm grade come residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Good for you it’s all stupid anyway and shows you have excellent time management skills by not wasting time on that trash. Plus one in my book.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Well, I am about to finish my last block in my first year of med school. was quite a journey so far, but I do have some worries going into the summer that i hope some of you may help me understand and cope with better.

I am pretty average in my class (~50%'ile, mostly B's with 1 or 2 high C's). However, I am finishing OPP with a 73%, barely passing (average for the class is around low-mid 80's). I know its not really a big deal to worry about preclinical grades, but this will bring my class rank to slightly below average.

How will this impact my chances for IM? im not sure how much OPP matters to different residencies and was wondering what some of you may think about it.
Won't even make a blip on a PD's radar.

EDIT: What is OPP? Is that your OMM/OMT class?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Passed OPP by the skin of my teeth MS1. Am now a PGY2. Honestly not sure what it did to my class rank (nothing good, obviously) but it never came up in interviews. Of all the things to stress about, don’t pick this.

Just quit now, you'll never land that NMM fellowship with barely a pass in OPP second semester of OMS1.

/s

Seriously just typing that felt ridiculous, because you'd probably still land an NMM fellowship with a fail in OPP one semester. No one will notice. You're fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
"This guy got a C in OMM. Can you FREAKING BELIEVE IT REGINOLD? Pass me my fine osteopathic scotch so that I may spit it out in surprise!" -- No PD ever.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Thank you everyone, feeling much better about this. Getting some well needed laughter out of these replies.

Guess i better drop out and switch careers while i can, im screwed!!

If you were applying to my residency (though non IM) I would view it favorably that you are almost failing OMM. High OMM grades might be a red flag, and I would search their application to make sure they are not a Still acolyte. It won't impact your chances for IM.

Haha my classmates and I used to make jokes about intentionally doing bad on OMM class just to let the PDs know that our brains are not tuned to OMT magics and we can think like real scientists :p. Our OMT professor thinks she can diagnose/treat cancer with her magical fingers, and this was the moment I realized OMT was a pile of garbage.

Haha my classmates and I used to make jokes about intentionally doing bad on OMM class just to let the PDs know that our brains are not tuned to OMT magics and we can think like real scientists :p. Our OMT professor thinks she can diagnose/treat cancer with her magical fingers, and this was the moment I realized OMT was a pile of garbage.

One of our OMM faculty claimed he could feel the individual structures of the brain, like the pituitary and the hypothalamus via cranial. Being 1st years at the time we didn't say boo. But the poster of crystal types and their "corresponding energies" was enough to make us walk away before our time was up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think any IM program director will take you seriously after seeing your mediocre OPP grades. They’ll immediately start to wonder whether you remember the basic Chapman’s points, or if you even know how to fix right-on-left backward sacral torsions. They might even put into question your understanding of the connection between the mind, body, and spirit.

The only way to redeem yourself will be to attend your residency interviews dressed up as AT Still, with a human femur in one hand and a first-edition copy of Philosophy of Osteopathy in the other. That way, the PDs will know that you became a “born-again osteopath” at some point after your first year. Best of luck.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
One of our OMM faculty claimed he could feel the individual structures of the brain, like the pituitary and the hypothalamus via cranial. Being 1st years at the time we didn't say boo. But the poster of crystal types and their "corresponding energies" was enough to make us walk away before our time was up.
You know that scene at the end of Breaking Bad where Jesse breaks down the gate and laughs triumphantly after escaping his captivity? That's how I felt after walking out of my very last OMM exam.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Some of you guys make me feel bad for having passed all of my OMM courses with an A. Thanks to my professor for making the class so straight forward and unstressful, you’ve cost me my credibility :(

You know that scene at the end of Breaking Bad where Jesse breaks down the gate and laughs triumphantly after escaping his captivity? That's how I felt after walking out of my very last OMM exam.

Yeah but similar to how Jesse's story got a sequel with El Camino, OMM keeps popping up randomly on boards or COMATs. I don't think we're 100% free of it until you pass Level 3 and choose ABM board certification afterwards.

Yeah but similar to how Jesse's story got a sequel with El Camino, OMM keeps popping up randomly on boards or COMATs. I don't think we're 100% free of it until you pass Level 3 and choose ABM board certification afterwards.
By strict definition you are absolutely correct. Personally, I have a more positive view though.

When you finishes PE and the OMM rotation/comat, if required, you are essentially done with OMM forever in a meaningful way. I firmly believe that you can guess on every OMM question on level 1-3 and still pass given you have a competent fund of knowledge in medicine. Given level 3 is essentially P/F, this means that really your only time studying OMM is a day or two before the exam.

After completion of year 1 and 2 OMM, I personally studied OMM for probably 1 day before level 1, maybe 3 days for the comat, and will spend 1 day before level 2 again. For PE, I will study OMM techniques with physical practice for a week or two if we ever get to take it. I probably won't even study it at all for level 3.

Last edited:
Some of you guys make me feel bad for having passed all of my OMM courses with an A. Thanks to my professor for making the class so straight forward and unstressful, you’ve cost me my credibility :(

weird flex but ok

• Haha
True. But in the grand scheme of our careers, after 2nd year is done our OMM exposure is essentially 80-90% over.

weird flex but ok
Wasn’t trying to...I hate OMM. Our written test averages were in the high 80/ low 90s and our practicals were 100%’s across the board. It was only suppose to be a joke, compounding the fact that OMM can indeed be a joke.

spoiler alert

Not sure failing a class, regardless of whether you think it's useless will be looked upon favorably, nor will high scores be a red flag, but hey to each his own...that is unless your post was just being sarcastic/