• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Super Non-trad URM ICU RN WAMC - 3.5 gpa/523 MCAT - MD/DO

gramnegative

2+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2016
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Just got my MCAT score today, and I am so excited to post this thread! I am looking for help on trimming and determining which schools to apply to, especially ones that may interested in an extreme non-trad like myself. Any help is appreciated
  • cGPA and sGPA: 3.5/3.56 - very strong upward trend, 4.0 in all post-bacc sciences, including upper-division classes (78 hours), and a overall 3.89 in my last 161 credit hours
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 523 (131/132/128/132)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): MD
  • Ethnicity and/or race: Native Hawaiian/Mainland Puerto Rican
  • Undergraduate institution or category: CA/MD state school
  • Degree: Originally a literature major, but never graduated (though I did complete an honors thesis with highest distinction). BSN, magna cum laude.
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~100+ hours at a community clinic specializing in treating the homeless. ~200+ hours as a CNA in a MIMC. ~5000 hours as an ICU RN at a large teaching hospital, with experience in rapid response and MICU, including working as a member of our BCU, caring for COVID pts and setting up and training all kinds of clinicians in PPE usage.
  • Research experience and productivity: Around 50 hours, presented a poster as part of research required as a new grad RN; research was used in an NP student's project that resulted in a change in the phlebotomy tubes being used, resulting a in large cost-savings and reduction in blood loss. The change was adopted system wide by the hospital system I work for.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: None :(. I was supposed to do start shadowing but then COVID happened.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: ~2000+ hours as volunteer union organizer; I volunteered to get a job at a hotel to help win a union, and helped pass the first contract, resulting in substantial increases in benefits and workplace treatment. 80 hours of this was coordinating a hunger strike; we brought people to senate confirmation hearings, city council meetings, and fought through illegal firings and discipline. ~1000+ hours in various executive positions at an award-winning urban farm. I wrote grants, built hoophouses, helped with classes, hosted fundraisers, and helped manage two employees.
  • Other extracurricular activities: I was a tutor for about ~200+ hours during nursing school. I was also in the executive leadership of student organization (SUPER) that held a journal club, film screenings, and narcan trainings.
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important: I was born in HI, but I am a military brat, so I moved a bunch during my childhood. I dropped out for a bit during high school and ended up getting my GED. Did some high school/undergrad in CA. Did the rest of undergrad in MD.
School list (WIP):

MD:

Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston
Brown
Case Western
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
EVMS (one of the docs writing a rec went here)
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Temple
UCSF
UH
UMD
U Pitt
UV
Vermont
Wayne State
WV

DO:

LECOM
MSU
OSCOM
UNE
VCOM
West VA
Western

About the Ads
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
MD:

Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston
Case Western
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
EVMS
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
NYMC
U MD
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Temple
UCSF
U HI
U Pitt
Vermont
Wayne State

ADD:
Vandy
Duke
Mt Sinai
WashU
Northwestern
Stanford
Tulane
Loyola
SLU
MCW
Netter
Creighton
Miami
Tufts
Agree with Faha that you don't need DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.