Super Non-trad URM ICU RN WAMC - 3.5 gpa/523 MCAT - MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gramnegative

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT score today, and I am so excited to post this thread! I am looking for help on trimming and determining which schools to apply to, especially ones that may interested in an extreme non-trad like myself. Any help is appreciated
  • cGPA and sGPA: 3.5/3.56 - very strong upward trend, 4.0 in all post-bacc sciences, including upper-division classes (78 hours), and a overall 3.89 in my last 161 credit hours
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 523 (131/132/128/132)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): MD
  • Ethnicity and/or race: Native Hawaiian/Mainland Puerto Rican
  • Undergraduate institution or category: CA/MD state school
  • Degree: Originally a literature major, but never graduated (though I did complete an honors thesis with highest distinction). BSN, magna cum laude.
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~100+ hours at a community clinic specializing in treating the homeless. ~200+ hours as a CNA in a MIMC. ~5000 hours as an ICU RN at a large teaching hospital, with experience in rapid response and MICU, including working as a member of our BCU, caring for COVID pts and setting up and training all kinds of clinicians in PPE usage.
  • Research experience and productivity: Around 50 hours, presented a poster as part of research required as a new grad RN; research was used in an NP student's project that resulted in a change in the phlebotomy tubes being used, resulting a in large cost-savings and reduction in blood loss. The change was adopted system wide by the hospital system I work for.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: None :(. I was supposed to do start shadowing but then COVID happened.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: ~2000+ hours as volunteer union organizer; I volunteered to get a job at a hotel to help win a union, and helped pass the first contract, resulting in substantial increases in benefits and workplace treatment. 80 hours of this was coordinating a hunger strike; we brought people to senate confirmation hearings, city council meetings, and fought through illegal firings and discipline. ~1000+ hours in various executive positions at an award-winning urban farm. I wrote grants, built hoophouses, helped with classes, hosted fundraisers, and helped manage two employees.
  • Other extracurricular activities: I was a tutor for about ~200+ hours during nursing school. I was also in the executive leadership of student organization (SUPER) that held a journal club, film screenings, and narcan trainings.
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important: I was born in HI, but I am a military brat, so I moved a bunch during my childhood. I dropped out for a bit during high school and ended up getting my GED. Did some high school/undergrad in CA. Did the rest of undergrad in MD.
School list (WIP):

MD:

Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston
Brown
Case Western
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
EVMS (one of the docs writing a rec went here)
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Temple
UCSF
UH
UMD
U Pitt
UV
Vermont
Wayne State
WV

DO:

LECOM
MSU
OSCOM
UNE
VCOM
West VA
Western

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to apply to DO schools unless there is a particular school that appeals to you. You could add these MD schools:
Rochester
Mount Sinai
NYU
Miami
Mayo (both schools)
Washington University
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Do you think that the lack of shadowing will hurt my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro, would love your input as a non-trad, especially regarding reach schools.

MD:

Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston
Case Western
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
EVMS
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
NYMC
U MD
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Temple
UCSF
U HI
U Pitt
Vermont
Wayne State

ADD:
Vandy
Duke
Mt Sinai
WashU
Northwestern
Stanford
Tulane
Loyola
SLU
MCW
Netter
Creighton
Miami
Tufts
Agree with Faha that you don't need DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user