superior/inferior vena cava = anterior/posterior vena cava?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MUN2005, May 8, 2002.

1. MUN2005

MUN2005 Miner?

Has anybody every heard the superior/inferior vena cava being called the anterior/posterior vena cava? For a biology course I am doing we were taught it as anterior/posterior, and I thought that was tottaly incorrect!?!?! Can somebody please clarify this? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As far as I know they're the same.
    Superior = anterior
    Inferior = posterior

4. vlad84117

vlad84117 Junior Member

I don't think you can call them anterior and posterior. Because that would imply that one was in from of the other, where in fact one is above the other, hence superior and inferior.

5. rpames

rpames Optometrist

Optometrist
    I would like to comment on the last post, The Superior/anterior is on the anterior side of the heart and the inferior/posterior is on the back, so it makes sence. I say, do what the prof wants and then make fun of them behind their back.

6. doepug

doepug Senior Member

As far as I know, referring to the anterior/posterior vena cava is totally incorrect, unless:

1) it is in reference to a specific point on the ant. or post. wall of the vena cava

or 2) it is in reference to developmental biology. In embryology (ONLY), anterior = superior, and posterior = inferior, due to the orientation of the embryo.

If the reference is not for one of these reasons, anterior/posterior vena cava is wrong.

Hope this helps,

doepug
    MS III, Johns Hopkins

7. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    the way your etacher is teaching it is fine , I took anatomy and you can definitly refer to those veins in that way since they dont attach exactly in a medial line. One is farther back then the other thus being able to name thenm anterior and posterior.good luck

8. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

I'm guessing you heard this in a lab. You use anterior/posterior for quadrapeds and superior/inferior for bipeds. It is not proper to interchange them with respect to the same animal.