Supervision for Psychology Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olive3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be graduating soon with my doctorate in psychology and I'm looking forward to working towards licensure. I had incorrectly assumed that if I were to find a position where I could not be supervised by a doctoral-level licensed psychologist, that I could pay to have supervision. However, I learned recently, that paying for supervision may be unethical because it could conflict with recommendations for licensure.

Does anyone have any information on this matter?

Also, would anyone know how to go about getting supervision (within ethical guidelines) when a licensed doctoral-level psychologist supervisor may not be available?

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you. I'm looking to be licensed in Pennsylvania.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I will be graduating soon with my doctorate in psychology and I'm looking forward to working towards licensure. I had incorrectly assumed that if I were to find a position where I could not be supervised by a doctoral-level licensed psychologist, that I could pay to have supervision. However, I learned recently, that paying for supervision may be unethical because it could conflict with recommendations for licensure.

Does anyone have any information on this matter?

Also, would anyone know how to go about getting supervision (within ethical guidelines) when a licensed doctoral-level psychologist supervisor may not be available?

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thank you.

If you are unlicensed, the you will have to have a licensed psychologist designated and available for supervision of your work. If not, then there is no job cause you can't legally do your work.