Supervisor says he won't submit the letter until August

Jul 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I have gotten most of my secondaries already and filled a lot of them out/submitted them, and I have all but one of my letters submitted. The only letter I am waiting on is from my current supervisor (PI at the lab where I am a lab tech). He says he isn't planning on even starting the letter until August, but that "he's familiar with how med admissions work" and this won't impact my chances. From what I've read this isn't the case but I want to confirm (in case anything has changed/anyone has other insight) before I confront him again. I'm also scared that he'll be mad at me for pushing to have it in sooner and will write me a bad letter because of it. I could really use any advice you all can offer.

Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Chill. This is where the LizzyM Labor Day rule comes into play. As long as everything, including LORs in in by Labor Day you'll be fine. Many, many huge feeder schools don't send committee letters until August and you don't see that hurting applicants from Hopkins, Duke and Emory, do you?

Reactions: Moko and vrally

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Chill. This is where the LizzyM Labor Day rule comes into play. As long as everything, including LORs in in by Labor Day you'll be fine. Many, many huge feeder schools don't send committee letters until August and you don't see that hurting applicants from Hopkins, Duke and Emory, do you?
To add, historically, committee letters included grades and comments from Spring Junior year professors. These professors, as much of the campus, would be gone for the summer and would not submit letters to the committee until they returned at the end of summer. Therefore, many committee letters werent written or submitted until after September.

OP
V
Jul 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok. Thank you both for your replies, that makes me feel a lot better. I don't come from a school with committee letters so I'm not familiar with the system.

OP
V
Jul 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you know if the schools wait for all the letters to evaluate secondaries, or if they evaluate and then wait for the letters to make interview decisions?

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Do you know if the schools wait for all the letters to evaluate secondaries, or if they evaluate and then wait for the letters to make interview decisions?
yes...some wait, some dont, it wont matter they will get to you when they get to you

Reactions: JustAUser