Supplemental Application Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmtran

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys....I'm working on my supplemental application, and I have a few questions regarding the "brief" essay that's included with the app. I'm applying to UOP, USC, and Western (all in Cali).
I've only received the supp. app. from UOP so far, and the essay is why do I want to attend UOP. I'm sure USC and Western has the same type of question on their supp. app. My question is how should I approach this essay? Should I talk about how the school can benefit me because of its "high caliber of training" and whatnot, or should I approach it from a different perspective as how I can contribute to the school or what makes me a good candidate for the school? Also, what exactly is a "brief" essay? One page?

Another question, I'm using PharmCAS like everyone else to apply for Fall 2004 admission. I guess PharmCAS takes a while to process my application, but once the pharm schools do get my complete application, about how long would it take to for me to hear from them? One month? Two? That's if they have rolling admissions.

Hmmmm.....also, I may have 3 pharmacists writing me letters of recommendation: one is the regular pharmacist/manager, one is a floater, and one is the pharmacist district manager. Is it necessarily better to have more LORs? I know all of them will write great LORs, but I was wondering if I am upping my chances of getting in with more LORs from pharmacists......I'm also having a college professor and my research mentor writing me academic LORs too, so I'm not leaving the other required LORs out.

Well that's about it so far. Sorry if I blabbed too much but I'm nervous because I'm submitting my PharmCAS application by the end of this week. Crossing my fingers.

Mai

Members don't see this ad.

Mai,

It's pretty free form, but you still really wanna grab their attention. Cool experiences, creative ideas, and some fun samples from your life are always a plus. You gotta really nail down why you want to come to CA. I can see that being a major plus if you attacked it well. Read up on the programs. SC is easy bc they have a ton going on just go their pharmacy site and check it out. LA in general has a ton of pharm related options.

I know Western has got some kooky questions about like who you look up to and stuff.

Point is, you always want to use the essays to advertise what you won't find in the other parts of your app.

You need to really jot down who you are and what you want. I'm biased, but you'll easily find that SC will meet those desires, and I'm sure that UOP and Western have some cool programs as well. Cool thing about western is there are so many other programs sharing the exact same campus, which can be lame too, but it offers a cool intermix of disciplines (DOs, Vet students, Nursing)

You're only gonna be able to submit three at most letters i think so you should probably figure out your best pharmacist LOR and best science prof LOR. I used an MD who taught a path class i took and a pharmd for SC. I can't remember if I sent another one or not. I collect them like people do stamps, so I'm never sure. Whenever I do anything I ask for a letter.

Like everyone's said and what Keiki learned the hard way: make sure you help sculpt that letter by telling them what aspects you would llike them to highlight.