Supplementing Pathoma with Goljan for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've finally decided to use Pathoma as my primary resource for studying Step 1 path. Are there any particular chapters in Pathoma that might not have enough content and could use some bolstering from an equivalent chapter in Goljan? Or are there any Goljan chapters that are particularly high yield?

Also, I've noticed the topics correlate pretty well, but Goljan also has additional chapters that aren't included in Pathoma like Environmental Path, Genetics Disorders, Nutritional Disorders, and Immunopathology. Can someone comment on the usefulness of these "extra" Goljan chapters?

Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I've finally decided to use Pathoma as my primary resource for studying Step 1 path. Are there any particular chapters in Pathoma that might not have enough content and could use some bolstering from an equivalent chapter in Goljan? Or are there any Goljan chapters that are particularly high yield?

Also, I've noticed the topics correlate pretty well, but Goljan also has additional chapters that aren't included in Pathoma like Environmental Path, Genetics Disorders, Nutritional Disorders, and Immunopathology. Can someone comment on the usefulness of these "extra" Goljan chapters?

Thanks for the help guys!

IMO every chapter is very barebones and is much improved with goljan supplementation.

I havent taken step 1 yet, but from what I read on SDN, those 'extra' chapters always appear on the exam, so know it well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just gonna throw this out there. Something that i wish i had studied more before the test are vitamins and minerals. I would suggest covering that very well. What would you see with def. vs excess. I can't remember exactly what the question was but I remember wishing I had spent 5 more min on that chapter.

So I guess the general consensus is that the "extra" chapters would be worth going over in Goljan? Where there any other chapters as well? I think I might have heard cardio or pulm maybe weak in Pathoma as well, can anyone confirm that?

So I guess the general consensus is that the "extra" chapters would be worth going over in Goljan? Where there any other chapters as well? I think I might have heard cardio or pulm maybe weak in Pathoma as well, can anyone confirm that?

Yes! Go over those chapters in Goljan. If you're doing classes I would go over Lilly with Cardio as well, Pulm is kind of weak as well (no mention of the A-a gradient and little physio tie in) but Goljan helps cover this. I heard neuro is weak, but I haven't done neuro yet so I don't have any suggestions for you, sorry.

I can't find these extra chapters in Goljan. Are these extra files in Goljan audio, notes volume 1 and 2, high yield notes, etc?

Just wondering, why does everyone say to read the first 8 chapters. Are the rest of the chapters too much info?

Just wondering, why does everyone say to read the first 8 chapters. Are the rest of the chapters too much info?

there seems to be a lot of Goljan haters around these parts after Pathoma came out. Personally I think Rapid Review is fantastic and so is Pathoma. However, Rapid Review contains a TON of material, much of which is extraneous, whereas Pathoma distills it down to the bare essentials.

Use RR Path with your normal path course in medical school and as a reference during Step 1 for extended information and pictures. Definitely use Pathoma during dedicated study time.