Support system in dental school- advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snikki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was fortunate to get into my #1 and #2 pick schools. After my impressions after visiting the schools for interviews I was 75% towards school #1, 25% school #2. Now that I got into both I'm starting to reevaluate everything.

I like school #1 because I liked the way I felt at the school when I went to visit; I was impressed by what I saw and how the students seem to like the school.

The reason why it's hard for me to pick school #1 over school #2 however is because it is 30 min away from my home, family, high school friends, and college friends. On the flip side, school #2 is my last chance to move away from home and experience a new environment.

The programs at the school seem similar and in terms of prestige they are also similar. Basically my brain says school #1 and my heart says school #2.

Knowing what you guys know as dental students, what advise do you have on my situation? Is it good to move away from home for school? Is it important to have a good support system very close by? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks =]

ps: i didn't put the schools bc I wanted unbiased opinions but if you would like to know which schools to give more insightful advice feel free to PM me

Members don't see this ad.

It depends which schools you are talking about. Do you not want to mention them by name?

price would be a concern. if the closer one is cheaper, i would recommend that. There is something to be said about having family close by when you're in dental school. you don't have to live at home, but sometimes it is nice to have when you've had a rough quarter or exam week or whatever. If you think your old HS and college buddies will have a problem with you hanging out with your dental classmates more, then i would consider moving away. If that's not an issue, then stay close to home. You can always move away later.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's great to have family nearby in my opinion. Mines are a couple of hours away though, so I don't see them on a weekly basis--maybe once or twice a month. You'll definitely need their support. dental school is rough!!! Maybe consider moving away after dental school to experience something new...

It's great to have family nearby in my opinion. Mines are a couple of hours away though, so I don't see them on a weekly basis--maybe once or twice a month. You'll definitely need their support. dental school is rough!!! Maybe consider moving away after dental school to experience something new...

I agree with the above statement, too. I am a few years older than most applicants I know, and while it's been years since I moved away from my family (two states away, to be exact) I appreciate the support network they can provide. Now I have in-laws living nearby and may be selected for UW, and that will be very welcome to have.

If I get into ASDOH, I know I'll rely on my CA relatives, too.

Besides, OP, you're a grown adult, and this will be a good time to establish boundaries if you have a nosy family. Families are going to 'get it' that d-school is very important to you, and will be very demanding.