DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
I had my own apartment when I was in high school and no one in my immediate family has ever met my almost three year old child. So, I'd say I have little support from my family.

I don't mind it at all. They were more of a negative influence on my life than anything and once I stepped away from them, I found incredible/amazing people who are extremely supportive and helpful. People I met through classes, through extracurricular activities on campus, people I met through online forums who may or may not be creeps lurking in dark basements (mostly kidding)...

Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I've never been told to pursue anything by my family, and my parents are typically easy-going in that respect. They let me do what I want. My sister hates doctors and b****s all the time about how "they don't know anything " (except when she gets really sick...then doctors seem to know quite a lot). They provide a bare minimum amount of encouragement, so I've found that I'm essentially alone. In fact, I can't remember the last time they asked me how my apps are going, which is relieving since this s*** is stressing me the f out. Even my friends who are applying to med school don't really give me a sense of community, as they're all in different circumstances (they went to schools with 70%+ acceptance rating and grade inflation through the stratosphere, so I can't relate to their 3.95 sgpa from poopstick university). There are no doctors/scientists/scientifically literate people in my family. They're immigrants, but I luckily dodged the "A+ or you're grounded for the rest of your life!" stereotype that a few of my cousins fell victim to. In many ways, their total lack of understanding for how med school apps work, what the MCAT entails, etc. is great; but in many ways, it's a very solitary existence having virtually no one be able to relate to my specific circumstances. Then again, that may not be a bad thing.

I'm essentially doing this entirely on my own. My only motivation has been and always will be the people I want to help. I see it as the best possible situation for someone to really test their interest in a career.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
**** parents.jpg
adulting is hard.jpg

leonardoson

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I've never been told to pursue anything by my family, and my parents are typically easy-going in that respect. They let me do what I want. My sister hates doctors and b****s all the time about how "they don't know anything " (except when she gets really sick...then doctors seem to know quite a lot). They provide a bare minimum amount of encouragement, so I've found that I'm essentially alone. In fact, I can't remember the last time they asked me how my apps are going, which is relieving since this s*** is stressing me the f out. Even my friends who are applying to med school don't really give me a sense of community, as they're all in different circumstances (they went to schools with 70%+ acceptance rating and grade inflation through the stratosphere, so I can't relate to their 3.95 sgpa from poopstick university). There are no doctors/scientists/scientifically literate people in my family. They're immigrants, but I luckily dodged the "A+ or you're grounded for the rest of your life!" stereotype that a few of my cousins fell victim to. In many ways, their total lack of understanding for how med school apps work, what the MCAT entails, etc. is great; but in many ways, it's a very solitary existence having virtually no one be able to relate to my specific circumstances. Then again, that may not be a bad thing.

I'm essentially doing this entirely on my own. My only motivation has been and always will be the people I want to help. I see it as the best possible situation for someone to really test their interest in a career.
I guess I go to a poopstick uni.

Reactions: Crayola227