Supporting eachother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A colleague, one of the most competent psychologists i've had the pleasure of knowing, lost a pediatric patient to non-accidental trauma a few days ago. I'm wondering if y'all had any ideas for small trinkets or nice things I could do for her.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if reaching out and just offering space to talk or a shoulder to cry on would be the best option?

I think about the aftermath of when a therapist losses a patient to suicide (which has happened to me on multiple occasions) and it's quite an isolating period with varying degrees of uncertainty (did I miss anything, could I have done anything different, why me) and emotional turbulence.

And for many of us, having a trusted colleague (in addition to their normal support networks) to talk things out with, to grieve with another, to express our feelings, to get perspective, to receive empathy or anything else that may be important to them can be incredibly powerful.

If you've done that already, maybe something self soothing oriented like a candle or one of those wax melter scent things could be a good option.

Reactions: 2 users