Supposedly I have weak EC's? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisPakistani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a chance. I just hope you are applying to more schools than just those. And do you mean Washington University?

:luck:

Do your GPAs include your grades at the community college? As you probably know, you are obliged to submit transcripts from all colleges attended.

You do not have any clinical experience listed. If it is true that you have no activity where you worked with sick people, that is a serious weakness to have in a med school application. You also do not mention physician shadowing, which most med schools expect to see. Further, I don't see any regular nonmedical community service.

Your hobbies are interesting and you have leadership and teaching. Your research appears to be strong.

My overall impression is that your ECs are indeed weak, however. It looks like you just decided to try to get into med school instead of grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to include some clinical and non-clinical volunteering, as well as getting at least some shadowing.

I agree with Catalystik's impression, especially the "It looks like you just decided to try to get into med school instead of grad school." part.

EC's:
President of youth MSA
Bhangra Team
Running Club
Ran a 15 K for Artificial Kidney Research (4 years in a row)
President of youth ASA
VP of Neuroscience Society
VP of Cardiology Club
Tutor for first years
Dorm supervisor
VP of theologians club
Secretary of youth MUN
Combine all of the various club/group leaderships into one bucket. These are really not that special and listing each individually looks like you're padding your list.

Bhangra is fun and unique. I like it! :)

Running club and charity races are a hobby, combine these. Better to play the charity races down as a hobby you have that sometimes benefits others than to try to play it up into actual altruism, which will probably backfire on you.

Try to get pick up some meaningful clinical volunteering (i.e. you can "smell patients") and also consider adding some community service.

Missed that the first time. You definitely need clinical experience or practically no school will give you a chance. It's one of those checklist things in applying to medical school. The schools want to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

You have a good chance at getting in somewhere if you get some clinical experience in. Volunteer at the free clinic... that seems to be the vogue thing at UVA.

You desperately need volunteering. Fund-raising type activities don't really count for much, although the running is an interesting hobby. You have excellent numbers, but without volunteering, both clinical and non-clinical, you may find yourself becoming one of those folks schools love to brag about rejecting, especially if your list is top-heavy.

You could also try AmeriCorp. By doing this, you could get experience while receiving a stipend. As for shadowing, you can speak with your local medical school for some names of physicians to shadow. If that doesn't work, you can always ask your personal physician for some names. The latter is what I did. If you belong to a pre-med club, you could ask there for some names and recommended volunteer sites.