Sure, there's nothing wrong with medicine in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You would think so, but in the dozen or so hospitals I have rotated through, worked in, etc I have never seen or heard of nephrology putting in their own lines.

This is a request we get all the time at my current place (at least we do on patients we are admitting from the ED).
I saw it done once but most of the nephrologists that do them trained on landmark techniques and our system requires US for central access.

Members don't see this ad.

UPDATE:

I received clarification from site medical director that these inpatient rounds are merely "social rounds" designed to improve the global inpatient satisfaction score.
No documentation will be required.
So... in essence - the ER staff is being used to buff the satisfaction scores for the inpatient docs.

Lolz.

UPDATE:

I received clarification from site medical director that these inpatient rounds are merely "social rounds" designed to improve the global inpatient satisfaction score.
So... in essence - the ER staff is being used to buff the satisfaction scores for the inpatient docs.

Lolz.

Where is the revenue to pay for that "social time" coming from? In most places I work, money comes from the RVU pool. Every activity that physicians do which isn't generating income is diluting the pool out. Hopefully the hospital is paying a subsidy for that service.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE:

Lolz.

And this service is supposed to be offered for free I bet. Maybe your administrators should do doctor rounds to improve physician satisfaction with their bull****

Reactions: 1 user
"Social Rounds" are of course, uncompensated. I do "spiritual rounds" if I feel the patient could just use some TLC; as I wrote above. It seems like admin is taking advantage of my kindness.

I like Psai's idea of administrators needing to do doctor rounds to improve our satisfaction.

"Social Rounds" are of course, uncompensated. I do "spiritual rounds" if I feel the patient could just use some TLC; as I wrote above. It seems like admin is taking advantage of my kindness.

I like Psai's idea of administrators needing to do doctor rounds to improve our satisfaction.

I don't actually endorse this response, but...

If a) you're peeved with admin over this and b) there are some docs that are exceptionally painful to admit to, you could kill two birds with one stone by turning the Monday morning QB'ing around during your "Social Rounds."

RF: "Hi, remember me from the ER? I wanted to come see how you're doing today."
Patient: "I got a cat scan of my chest. They told me there were no blood clots."
RF: "They did what!? I could tell by talking to you and doing an actual exam that you had no blood clots. I can't believe they exposed you to the radiation. Hopefully you don't end up on dialysis from the contrast! Oh well, the new curtains are nice, eh?
By by for now, I'm off to visit some other 'friends'.
[over your shoulder on your way through the door] I sure hope they don't have you on a low sodium diet - those meals are positively awful."

Reactions: 1 user
Agree completely. Due to "poor patient satisfaction", one of my EmCare sites has now mandated that EVERY patient be seen by a physician. That means the level 4 tooth pain, or the level 5 med refill that is seen by an APP has to sit and wait until a physician comes to say hi. We are not really sure how this going to work yet as the patient volume is already very high just for the physicians. Would seeing a physician increase patient satisfaction moreso than than the extra hour wait would tend to decrease it?

I've basically stated that at his point I don't need an APP. If I have to see all the patients, just give me the $70/hour that they make, plus two scribes.
my guess is the future is we're going to be just a bunch of supervisors. app will see everyone and present. we'll go physically see the real sick ones and just do a roll by on the toothaches. medicine has gone straight to ****ter