Surg Prestigious Prelim vs Nice outside Match Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albinolion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum, and to any forum for that matter. I have been moved to seek your advice regarding my rank list due to my absolute confusion. I am from Europe and I interviewed for categorical positions at: UVA, Duke, Tuts-NEMC, St. Vincent's, and Georgetown. I also interviewed for a 2-year preliminary position at Johns Hopkins. Hopkins interview went very well and they were excited by my application. Tufts-NEMC were equally excited and said that they were going to rank me highly. UVA offered me a categorical position outside the match into year 2. I loved the city of Boston the best. I suppose the question is would I be crazy to rank a Hopkins prelim above a categorical in the match rank? or should I just say to hell with it and accept the offer from UVA? I am not from the states and so the ins and outs of the programs are a bit alien to me. My ideal would be Hopkins but everyone is telling me not to go for the prelim. I told the RD that I was thinking about ranking them first and he said that he would be honoured to have me but he would caution me from ranking any prelim above a categorical. He also said I should think about it carefully before becoming 'infatuated with hopkins'. I don't know what to do. Any advice? I am thinking (1) Hopkins Prelim (2) Tuft NEMC (3) UVA (4) Duke etc am I as crazy as everyone says?
THANX

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to guarantee yourself being a board certified general surgeon, then "yes" you are crazy. You've listed very well respected programs from top to bottom. When you're an FMG you need to take what you can get (more or less). Take the UVA spot as long as it is in writing.

2 years of prelim? without a guarantee to actually finish a program. Not for me.