Surgeon with chronic back pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blondbondgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still in med school-
I am really leaning towards neurosurgery but I am worried if I will be physically able to handle it!
I had a riding accident 5 years ago-L1 compression fracture and I am still having pain. I don't take any meds for it (it has gotten much better) but if I sit in class too long or don't work out (yoga, running hurts too much) for a day or two I get pretty stiff.
I guess I will know more once I have my surgical practicals (I am in a European program in my 4th of 6th years, we only watch surgeries for 1-2 hours at a time at this point, my last year will be like an American 3rd + 4th year) but I was just curious if there is anyone out there with a similar story- basically I want to hear that I will make it :)

I have read about people putting in acupuncture needles when they are in the OR, any other ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I will start by saying that I am a med student that was suffering from a similar dilemma (I have a herniated disc). Despite being in a good deal of pain when standing for some long cases, I have decided that I will go into surgery (ENT, to be specific), and my orthopedist and pain doc (I've had a few epidurals) support my decision. For what it's worth, I did have an orthopaedist that told me not to go into ortho, however, due to the occasional heavy lifting and wearing of lead.