Surgeon with chronic back pain?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by Blondbondgirl, May 7, 2008.

1. Blondbondgirl

Medical Student
    I'm still in med school-
    I am really leaning towards neurosurgery but I am worried if I will be physically able to handle it!
    I had a riding accident 5 years ago-L1 compression fracture and I am still having pain. I don't take any meds for it (it has gotten much better) but if I sit in class too long or don't work out (yoga, running hurts too much) for a day or two I get pretty stiff.
    I guess I will know more once I have my surgical practicals (I am in a European program in my 4th of 6th years, we only watch surgeries for 1-2 hours at a time at this point, my last year will be like an American 3rd + 4th year) but I was just curious if there is anyone out there with a similar story- basically I want to hear that I will make it :)

I have read about people putting in acupuncture needles when they are in the OR, any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rmm262002

rmm262002 Junior Member

Well, I will start by saying that I am a med student that was suffering from a similar dilemma (I have a herniated disc). Despite being in a good deal of pain when standing for some long cases, I have decided that I will go into surgery (ENT, to be specific), and my orthopedist and pain doc (I've had a few epidurals) support my decision. For what it's worth, I did have an orthopaedist that told me not to go into ortho, however, due to the occasional heavy lifting and wearing of lead.