Surgeon without hands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of any surgeons that have had successful practices despite having tendonitis?

As a piano major, during college, I developed chronic tendonitis. My hands are now "fine" due to years of physical therapy. I'm gung-ho about surgery (I know most med students change their mind during rotations). However, I'm not sure if I will even be able to do the basic surgical scut work that MS3s are subjected to (i.e. retracting for 5 hours).

Thanks in advance,

DNR

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of any surgeons that have had successful practices despite having tendonitis?

As a piano major, during college, I developed chronic tendonitis. My hands are now "fine" due to years of physical therapy. I'm gung-ho about surgery (I know most med students change their mind during rotations). However, I'm not sure if I will even be able to do the basic surgical scut work that MS3s are subjected to (i.e. retracting for 5 hours).

Thanks in advance,

DNR

While not tendonitis specific, I know of many surgeons who no longer can practice due to hand and fine motor injuries -- most have now moved into teaching roles. I also know one person who was bluntly talked out of selecting surgery due to a physical impairment that made it unrealistic, in the administration's opinion. Surgical procedures frequently last longer than the 5 hours you describe, and you can end up having to hold retractors and the like even after MS3. It's not so easy even if you have no tendon issues. If you find you are not capable of doing the basic retractor stuff, you will have difficulty assisting, and thus it is unlikely you will be given more intricate stuff to do. You may have to select a field you can thrive in.

Try out surgery during your clerkship rotation and see how you make out. I wouldn't tell anyone about the "injuries" unless it becomes clear that it is becoming a problem.

Very few procedures actually go beyond 5 hours in most surgical specialties. As for retracting, you shouldn't be using your hand muscles or you fatigue very quickly. I'm a small women without much upper body strength but i can retract as well as the big guys - it just takes the right position and leverage. I lock my hands and forearms and retract with my whole body (basically stand on a standing stool until i'm at the right height and then lean back like i'm waterskiing). There are lots of tricks like this that you can use. And yes, I'm now a PGY7 and i still have to retract from time to time.