Surgeon's hands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm interested in studying to become a surgeon. I've
always heard the thing about how you have to have really "good
hands" and be really flexible to be a surgeon, but I always
thought the physical abilities aren't so inherent and aren't
nearly as important (in fact irrelevant compared to )as the
mental ability. Which is correct?
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

It's 99% in the head.
Jim henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

i'd imagine its 50 percent mind and 50 percent skill

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to having steady hands, it's mostly about practice and muscle memory. As long as you don't have some sort of tremor or nerve palsy, you should be able to develop steady hands over time.

Every field requires some sort of mental ability, but it is different from specialty to specialty. As a surgeon, you will need to recognize the signs of infection, healing, and tissue death easily because they will drastically change what you do in the operating room. You will also need to know when you should order biopsies or cultures - like the steady hands, you will develop this with time and practice.

Don't worry about any of this yet. Go to medical school, figure out if you truly fit with surgery, and the rest will follow.

It's about ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain, and a hundred percent reason to remember the name.

Give or take.

whoa, it's been 10 years. A freaking decade!:scared:

It's about ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain, and a hundred percent reason to remember the name.

Give or take.
:lol:

Who the hell is he anyway?
He never really talks much
Never concerned with status but still leaving them awe struck
Humbled through opportunities given despite the fact
That many misjudge him because he makes a living from surgery
Put it together himself, now the picture connects
Never asking for someone's help, or to get some respect
He's only focused on what he planned, his will is beyond reach
And now it all unfolds, the skill of a surgeon

Whenever people bump old threads it always makes me think about what I was doing at the time this thread was written. So, lets see: August 1999, I was just starting high school :laugh:

I think what makes this 10 year old thread even better is that it was only 2 posts to start with. To me, that means it wasn't relevant then, and clearly isn't relevant any more. At least this was good for a laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever people bump old threads it always makes me think about what I was doing at the time this thread was written. So, lets see: August 1999, I was just starting high school :laugh:

I do the same thing. '99 was a sad time. No youtube, no wikipedia, just sad.

The person was also a premed that signed off with "MD" after his name.

Man, 1999. I was taking freshman humanities and algebra back then.

in 1999, I didn't even know what Internet was.:laugh:

It also looks like he answered his own post... Weird...?

It also looks like he answered his own post... Weird...?

so true, it's really tripping me out right now. I thought for a minute that maybe he answered his own question after going through the whole process, but both posts are from 1999 lol

haha I'd love to see someone come back like 7 years down the road and answer their own SDN questions. That could be epic, if well executed.

This is the oldest thread I have seen. Any older and it would be older than SDN itself. Looks like somebody has a lot of free time. :poke:

I just realized I was 10 when this was posted. We had just gotten AOL!

Wow...bump FTW!

Dr. Henderson was one of the originators of SDN and back then used to post messages from others into threads.

He's been gone (from SDN) for years although was also the originator of the anti-SDN.

Wow...bump FTW!

Dr. Henderson was one of the originators of SDN and back then used to post messages from others into threads.

He's been gone (from SDN) for years although was also the originator of the anti-SDN.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have my SDN history lesson for the day!

Wow...bump FTW!

I hadn't seen "FTW" before and had to look it up. The first website I saw said it stands for "f*** the world." But it wasn't until I saw the other definition that it made sense:laugh:.

ten years ago i was definitely pimping 7th grade. Hard.

So I am still lost why Jim Henderson responded to Jim Henderson in 1999.
Kim meant that Henderson used to input posts on behalf of other users. So the OP is not by H, but by somebody else. Then in the second post H responds to the OP. I hope that makes sense.

sheesh i was in 4th grade in 1999... feeling kinda young here

I miss getting the AOL cds in DVD cases. I used to replace broken cases with those.

In August 1999 I was just starting college and being introduced to T-1 internet connections. So long ago.

Back in the day when you could pirate all you want without fear of being sued for 15 billion dollars.

Must've sucked for the people that had dial-up. I lived in a town that had cable modems out in 1996-97 or so. I remember the hospital putting ours in for PACS in late 97.

Back in the day when you could pirate all you want without fear of being sued for 15 billion dollars.

Must've sucked for the people that had dial-up. I lived in a town that had cable modems out in 1996-97 or so. I remember the hospital putting ours in for PACS in late 97.

We didn't get cable internet or TV until 2001 or so. I hated using the internet when I came back from college. A dorm I was in during summer school 2002 (state school), had no internet connection, so I had to use Earthlink dial up.