Surgeons: how real is Grey's Anatomy in this regard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toooldforms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the show is fake in most things but how accurate is the new interns fighting to get surgeries? Cause in my mind new interns are nervous not eager considering its life/death Does this depict what it is actually like for new surgical interns? I also don't think new interns get OR time do they?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know the show is fake in most things but how accurate is the new interns fighting to get surgeries? Cause in my mind new interns are nervous not eager considering its life/death Does this depict what it is actually like for new surgical interns? I also don't think new interns get or time do they?
In reality new interns are scrubbing in and first assisting on surgeries. They aren't doing their own stuff until second or even third year most of the time.

In reality new interns are scrubbing in and first assisting on surgeries. They aren't doing their own stuff until second or even third year most of the time.
Pretty much the same in Grey's too. I don't think any of them went solo until they were residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another Grey's Anatomy thing. Anytime someone has any problem the surgeons tend to them can someone explain to me how this works in real life. Aren't patients sent to the ER first and then transfered to the OR if they need operation? they aren't tended by surgical residents until its decided they need surgery. Is this correct or or do I have it wrong.

Another Grey's Anatomy thing. Anytime someone has any problem the surgeons tend to them can someone explain to me how this works in real life. Aren't patients sent to the ER first and then transfered to the OR if they need operation? they aren't tended by surgical residents until its decided they need surgery. Is this correct or or do I have it wrong.
Surgical residents rotate through multiple services in intern year and beyond.

Overall though, Grey's Anatomy is the second least accurate show revolving around medicine, with the last one being General Hospital. 99% of it is bull****.

Reactions: 2 users
Overall though, Grey's Anatomy is the second least accurate show revolving around medicine, with the last one being General Hospital. 99% of it is bull****.
True but it'd be a pretty crappy show if it was more accurate. The fluff and dreadfully understaffed hospital is what makes I what it is* :corny:

*was

But seriously Grey's can't be worse than House.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Where does Children's Hospital fall on this spectrum?

Reactions: 4 users
True but it'd be a pretty crappy show if it was more accurate. The fluff and dreadfully understaffed hospital is what makes I what it is* :corny:

*was

The cases in House are substantially better though.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone knows Scrubs in the best medical TV show.

Reactions: 16 users
The ER is NOT staffed with all different types of surgeons #Facts

Members don't see this ad :)
Grey's is completely unwatchable garbage. House is watchable garbage.

Scrubs is the best though. Or MASH.
Scrubs definitely beats those two out. Instead of MASH, I prefer reruns of The A-TEAM

Grey's is completely unwatchable garbage. House is watchable garbage.

Scrubs is the best though. Or MASH.

Humorously the only shows I've seen that have been mentioned on here are Scrubs and MASH

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ftfy
House >mash>>>>>>>>>>>scrubs>>> Gray's .

scrubs is such a trash show. I hate the TV trope where the main characters are lovable idiots.

They're all real cases though. If you pay attention you can often call them early.
I know they are real diseases and conditions but they're portrayed in more dramatized ways to make it more interesting like the episode with the girl who was actually a boy. I've never heard of Klinefelter so I thought it was some rare interesting thing but when I googled it I found out it was just another way of saying xxy and they dont look that feminine. And there was another episode where a man mirrors everyone and he was somehow psychic and knew what the person would say.

I know they are real diseases and conditions but they're portrayed in more dramatized ways to make it more interesting like the episode with the girl who was actually a boy. I've never heard of Klinefelter so I thought it was some rare interesting thing but when I googled it I found out it was just another way of saying xxy and they dont look that feminine. And there was another episode where a man mirrors everyone and he was somehow psychic and knew what the person would say.
That episode was actually complete androgen insensitivity syndrome, not Kleinfelter. Basically the only way you know they are male is their vagina ends in a blind pouch. On scan, they have no ovaries or uterus, but undescended testicles can be found in the abdomen.

The cases are actually taken from the medical literature, similar to the NEJM interesting case of the issue, which is uncommon presentations of uncommon things.

scrubs is such a trash show. I hate the TV trope where the main characters are lovable idiots.

They're actually not idiots. Not JD anyway. He acts like an idiot, but he's supposed to be one of the best doctors there (once he's an attending anyway).

They're actually not idiots. Not JD anyway. He acts like an idiot, but he's supposed to be one of the best doctors there (once he's an attending anyway).
Dude had like a 10 year residency.

Greys is to medicine what WWE is to real wrestling.

Reactions: 6 users
That episode was actually complete androgen insensitivity syndrome, not Kleinfelter. Basically the only way you know they are male is their vagina ends in a blind pouch. On scan, they have no ovaries or uterus, but undescended testicles can be found in the abdomen.

The cases are actually taken from the medical literature, similar to the NEJM interesting case of the issue, which is uncommon presentations of uncommon things.
cool, never heard of it.

Any surgeons to answer the OP?

Third year surgery resident.

How much OR time interns get, whether or not they have to fight for it, and whether they are surgeon junior or first assist depends on the program set up, service, attending teaching style/preferences, caseload, overall hierarchy and resident skill level.

For myself: "Communiversity" program, in the OR day 1, over 300 procedures+cases intern year w/ about 150 cases I could comfortably count as surgeon junior, never had to fight for a case, double scrubbed only if we were slow and I wanted to see a big case, and got bumped from being sg jr only once.

On who tends to patients....who makes the decision for a patient to go to surgery? The surgeon (and patient, informed consent). But definitely not the ER Dr.

There are a lot of ways for a pt to get to the OR: elective/outpatient cases; direct admits to the floor or ICU from PCPs or OSH that end up needing surgery (or not....SBOs, the surgery resident nemesis); direct-to-OR from the ER (emergent surgery); floor admit from the ER, then surgery or not; or straight from the trauma bay. At any given time, depending on the service, my rounding list may have up to 50% patients who do not need a surgery at all while inpatient. We are also consulted on a variety of pts as well, which can make the number of non-ops high.

It better not be like grey's anatomy or my wife has some serious explaining to do...

Reactions: 3 users
Never understood why people in medicine watch medical shows and then get upset when it doesn't show real medicine...

Reactions: 3 users
Never understood why people in medicine watch medical shows and then get upset when it doesn't show real medicine...
I for one want a show exclusively about managing copd, chf, diabetes, obesity in outpatient settings

Reactions: 8 users
I for one want a show exclusively about managing copd, chf, diabetes, obesity in outpatient settings
Call it Chronic, starring an awkward 2nd year also "non-communicative" FM resident. Roll clips of Metformin and Broccoli

Reactions: 6 users
It's better than the TV trope of the main character being detestable and gruff but so brilliant he can't afford to be gotten rid of.

It's similar to real hospitals. Tons of jerk detestable surgeons who won't be fired because they bring the hospital a lot of money or they had a lot of publications. Everyone knows surgeons are the most detestable physicians in the hospital...

It's similar to real hospitals. Tons of jerk detestable surgeons who won't be fired because they bring the hospital a lot of money or they had a lot of publications. Everyone knows surgeons are the most detestable physicians in the hospital...
Depends on the hospital. At the community place I'm at right now, the surgeons are some of the most pleasant, personable, and friendly personalities around. At Big University Medical Center it was a different story- there was a straight-up cruel surgeon that would humiliate nurses to tears on a biweekly basis and shatter the souls of residents. I don't think he did it intentionally, I think he was just somewhere on the spectrum and had difficulty understanding that what he was doing was hurtful, but regardless, he was eventually shown the door- after ten years.

Depends on the hospital. At the community place I'm at right now, the surgeons are some of the most pleasant, personable, and friendly personalities around. At Big University Medical Center it was a different story- there was a straight-up cruel surgeon that would humiliate nurses to tears on a biweekly basis and shatter the souls of residents. I don't think he did it intentionally, I think he was just somewhere on the spectrum and had difficulty understanding that what he was doing was hurtful, but regardless, he was eventually shown the door- after ten years.

I'm surprised the nurse took that stuff. Maybe it's bc I'm in Ny. The nurses say w.e they want , they are unionized and won't get fired.

I'm surprised the nurse took that stuff. Maybe it's bc I'm in Ny. The nurses say w.e they want , they are unionized and won't get fired.
NYC is kind of weird like that. Most of the country doesn't have unionized nurses, and ours were not only not unionized, but our hospital had a reputation as the best place to work in the state income-wise and so far as environment and staffing. So they weren't too keen on getting fired. Not that they wouldn't get aggressive, but this guy you just couldn't get aggressive with- he was a classic case of Asperger's, he literally wouldn't understand you ripping into him, he'd just be like, "I don't understand why you're saying these things, but I assume I must have said something to offend you. That's your problem to deal with I guess." And then maximum shruggery :shrug: So they just put in reports on him every time for years and eventually they had enough of a case to ask him to leave.

Reactions: 1 users
Here we go, best Medical Show on TV in the history of ever :D :p

NYC is kind of weird like that. Most of the country doesn't have unionized nurses, and ours were not only not unionized, but our hospital had a reputation as the best place to work in the state income-wise and so far as environment and staffing. So they weren't too keen on getting fired. Not that they wouldn't get aggressive, but this guy you just couldn't get aggressive with- he was a classic case of Asperger's, he literally wouldn't understand you ripping into him, he'd just be like, "I don't understand why you're saying these things, but I assume I must have said something to offend you. That's your problem to deal with I guess." And then maximum shruggery :shrug: So they just put in reports on him every time for years and eventually they had enough of a case to ask him to leave.

IME, you don’t need a union. I’ve worked in non-union states, and all a nurse has to do to become a freeloading asshat is become besties with the nurse manager.

I agree. As an RN I'm not worried about being fired at all, and don't take ****. Its not like when I was in the Army and they owned you. Worst case I'll get written up, and I can quite literally quit my job and find an equally good one within a week. That's the good thing about the nursing shortage. We aren't unionized but its just really easy to find a nursing job. Ive known several known drug addicts that were nurses. A highschool classmate of mine was convicted after licensing of possessing and being under the influence of methamphetamine and he still practices. Just had to go to rehab, and now I'm sure he has limits on his license about administering narcotics. Still makes a good living.

I never understood the "crying nurse" business. Now as a resident? Hell I'm going to watch my tongue and take whatever the MD wants to dish out, but as a nurse you simply don't have to take it lying down. What's the worst that can happen if you tactfully tell a doctor he's full of ****? Don't cuss and don't threaten. Other than that you can't go very wrong.