Surgery and anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing first year of my residency in orthopedics, i really like what i do, but sometimes i get nervous in the surgery and get kind of having shaky hands. I was doing a hip surgery and our consultant was watching me and instructing me about a new technique and i totally got nervous, and had some tremors, however i finished the surgery without a problem with a perfect fixation..
After the operation our consultant asked me if i like what i do and is this the specialty i d like to do in the future..he said to me also i looked insecure in the OR ..

i am now having second thoughts about if i am doing the correct thing in my life..
Has any of u experienced such things???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Consultant in the UK is the attending, so it probably does matter what they think.

The ortho/surgery attending?

Hard to imagine an ortho attending questioning his/her resident's intent to be a surgeon...obviously they want it otherwise why be in it??

The ortho/surgery attending?

Hard to imagine an ortho attending questioning his/her resident's intent to be a surgeon...obviously they want it otherwise why be in it??

I think that was the OP's point: should he interpret the comments as anything?

I vote no, not necessarily. Probably just an off-hand comment. The fact that it makes you second-guess yourself, though, makes me wonder if there's any truth to the question?

There are several things to unpack in your question.

The first thing is dealing with nerves leading to shaky hands when operating. There are some breathing techniques which help with this (eg breathe in for a count of four, hold for a count of four, breathe out for a count of four). There may be others - I'm sure snipers have techniques to use. Musicians too? Do some research and find what works for you. Should be obvious, but don't self-medicate for this. If self-help techniques don't work, ask for professional help.

The second thing is second-guessing your own wishes to be an orthopedic surgeon. You've got this far and say you are enjoying it, and if you got a perfect fixation on a new technique it sounds as though you are doing well. Don't let one conversation, even one from a consultant, get in the way of that.

The third thing is your presentation. Part of being a successful physician is inspiring confidence in others. You need your patients and their families to have confidence in you, and you need the teams you are leading on the ward and in the operating room to have confidence in you. That means projecting yourself in a way which inspires that confidence. On looking confident and professional and in charge, you "fake it till you make it". Body language is a big part of this (posture, gestures) and what you say is another part of this. Watch how people around you in the hospital who are respected act and talk, and try to incorporate some of their attitudes into yours. When you speak, cut out anything which is not positive about yourself. My heart sinks if I go to a talk and someone starts with "I'm not very good at this" or "I'm not used to this" and the like, and it is surprisingly common, particularly from women, who are taught from an early age to be apologetic about taking up public space.

Good luck.

Reactions: 8 users
Is it common place for surgery attendings to question their resident's intent well into residency training?

I would think (and maybe hope) they would be more supportive. I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

Oh my friend, everyone's commitment and intent will be questioned repeatedly throughout residency, by others and by yourself. It's not just surgery, though they are probably worse than some other fields (pediatrics, for example).

It's important to keep in my mind that it's not necessarily mean-spirited or condescending (though sometimes it is). It's better to find out that you're not a fit for a certain field early (in the first year) rather than 2 or 3 or 4 years down the line. Especially since you're making a life decision off of (at best) 2 or 3 not-very-indicative months in that specialty as a medical student.

The OP does sound like they were fairly happy with their choice before the commentary, so I would say that if you weren't doubting yourself, don't let one comment derail you.

Reactions: 4 users
if an attending doesn't insult you in the OR, it means he/she doesn't care

get thicker skin and chill out.... it'll help the shakes

Reactions: 1 user
Is it common place for surgery attendings to question their resident's intent well into residency training?

I would think (and maybe hope) they would be more supportive. I wasn't being sarcastic at all.
Doesn't happen all the time, but then again it isn't all the time that someone is so visibly nervous that their hands are shaking throughout the case (and their face probably looks terrified). Could be they were just bluntly exploring whether this is truly the field for the OP, in which case an enthusiastic yes, yes, and how can I get better would be the appropriate response. Could be they were screwing with him to be funny (my coresident was once told she operated like a ******ed turtle by an attending) and highlight a weakness that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: 3 users
my coresident was once told she operated like a ******ed turtle by an attending) and highlight a weakness that needs to be addressed.

I really miss the bluntness of surgeons sometimes. As a student, during a lap case a senior of mine was told his using the instruments was like watching a couple drunk monkeys ****. Peds needs more of that. Medicine has an okay middle ground

Reactions: 4 users
I am finishing first year of my residency in orthopedics, i really like what i do, but sometimes i get nervous in the surgery and get kind of having shaky hands. I was doing a hip surgery and our consultant was watching me and instructing me about a new technique and i totally got nervous, and had some tremors, however i finished the surgery without a problem with a perfect fixation..
After the operation our consultant asked me if i like what i do and is this the specialty i d like to do in the future..he said to me also i looked insecure in the OR ..

i am now having second thoughts about if i am doing the correct thing in my life..
Has any of u experienced such things???

Thanks

It's the first year. Don't worry so much. You barely know the anatomy, the technique, or the conduct of an operation.

Many of my attendings said MUCH worse in my early years. They all seem to like how I operate just fine now...

It's the first year. Don't worry so much. You barely know the anatomy, the technique, or the conduct of an operation.

Many of my attendings said MUCH worse in my early years. They all seem to like how I operate just fine now...

Thanks for all replies, i hope i ll get better during the future. did hemiarthroplasty in 100 years old woman recently..,everything was undercontrol..
I guess this anxiety issue comes with specific consultants when they supervise me.. :)

Reactions: 2 users