surgery and international health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asharma11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey folks:

are there any general surgery programs in the US that offer residents a structured experience (i.e., via electives or research, not just volunteering) of operating in the developing world?

thanks!
asharma11

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent question! I too am interested in international health, specifically cardiovascular surgery in Africa. Let me know if you get any answers and I'll keep you posted if something comes my way!

Look at Brown and Indiana. Both have elective rotations for residents in Africa. (The hospital the Brown residents work at is run by a former graduate who is a cardiothoracic surgeon, so you might find that particularly relevant, Doc2008) One of the recent graduates at Vanderbilt also is currently working in Africa, but I don't know if the residents are able to work there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think when i interviewed at UCSF there was a healthy-sized group doing work abroad. i was impressed by the support and infra-structure for such things.
all that said, i have no real life experience in what they have to offer.

You should check out Portland, OR. I know that they are very positive about these kinds of rotations and I think they are planning something more structured. They also offer a year long rural rotation.

i think when i interviewed at UCSF there was a healthy-sized group doing work abroad. i was impressed by the support and infra-structure for such things.
all that said, i have no real life experience in what they have to offer.

Ditto this. There is an organized rotation during the 2 years req. research that is well funded and managed. Several residents seemed VERY involved and talked a lot about it...if i had any desire to travel to the third world I would have been duly impressed.

I second Oregon. They have a rural surgery fellowship where they send you to the middle of nowhere. Its supposed to be awesome. My concern was where I would then get sushi, but I digress. If you're into true general surgery for the underserved, there seem none better.

Hopkins also has a thing where they send (?sent) residents to England. I am not sure whether they do that anymore.

Mount Sinai (NYC) has a rotation where you go to the DR and operate like a crazy man. The residents had nothing but great things to say about it.

Those are all that I can think of.