Surgery Boards

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by patters1111, Mar 24, 2002.

1. patters1111

patters1111 Junior Member

I am 3rd year DO student looking at doing an allopathic general surgery residency. Assume the AOA would not approve my 1st year at the allopathic residency. When I finish my residency would I take the MD surgical boards, DO surgical boards, or get to choose?
    If the AOA does not approve my 1st year would this make me ineligible to sit for DO surgical boards?
    To sit for the MD surgical boards does one have to complete the USMLE?

I am just trying to cover my bases.
    Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. patters1111

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

4. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher SeƱor Member

I am only posting a reply because you are begging; I can't vouch for the quality of my reply.

I believe that if you:

1. complete a ACGME (allopathic, MD) residency without completing the AOA internship (or approved equivalent), you would only be elligible to sit for the ACGME college board exam.

2. complete an AOA internship (or approved equivalent) and complete a ACGME (allopathic, MD) residency, wou would be elligible to become accredited by the AOA (or something like that), but would still sit for the ACGME college board exam.

3. complete and AOA internship (or approved equivalent) and complete a AOA-approved residency, you would sit for the AOA college board exam.

Hope this helps a little. If I am wrong, somebody please give me an electron slap.

5. johnM

johnM Senior Member

I'm just curious as to why you want to do an allo residency instead of DO one? Are there DO surgical residencies out there? what's the difference?

6. patters1111

I want to go into allopathic residency because I want to be in the southeast. There are only a few DO programs in this area. Also I would like to be at a Level 1 trauma center which very little DO program are.