Surgery Couples Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@70mphC2005--->

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've been looking to get all the info I possibly can about the best way to do a duo surgery couples match. After doing our rotations, we are certain that we want to go into surgery, especially in orthopedics.

I have heard of several who tried to get into the same city using the San Fransisco and National Match, but not both going through the National match into surgery or orthopedics.

So this may be an off topic, but I am wondering if anyone has heard of a couples match both in surgery or orthopedics, how the outcome was, or what type of students they are and what they did to make it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My wife and I are general surgery interns this year. The short answer is that couple matching worked very well. We were good but not exceptional students. I can point you toward at least two other couples who matched together in GS. PM me if you have other questions.

Hey Pilot,

Thanks for the reply. Do couples matchers have to apply to more programs than most? We were thinking of applying to a very high number of programs to maximize our chances. Also, how did you discuss with PDs that you are couples matching, or did you have such a discussion at all or mention it in your personal statement?

Thanks

My experience was with a GS-GS couple match. Everything pertains to that - I have no idea how applicable this will be to ortho.

It was very difficult to find anyone who had done a double-surgery couple match before. (Nearly impossible, in fact - we only found one couple.) Most of what we did was very conservative based on 1) lack of information and 2) apprehension about how we would be received.

We applied to 30 programs that ranged from 7 year university programs to small community programs. I think we received something like 27 interview invites and interviewed at 14 programs. No program expressed serious concerns about taking a couple - not that they would tell us, anyway. We matched at Wash U (1st choice).

Based on my n=1, you shouldn't apply to 50 or 100 programs. Thirty was more than enough. In retrospect, 14 interviews was overkill. The only advice I would give is to overrepresent "safety" programs in your applications/interviews.

We made it very clear in our statements and interviews that we were couple matching. We wanted to be in the same program, so there was no way to hide the fact, but I don't see any reason to try.

And if you're wavering between ortho and GS at this point, try to pick one for both of you. The application and interview process for 1 specialty is infinitely smoother that for 2. (And thus far, we're enjoying being in the same program.)