bott1637

10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I was at an ACS state meeting this past week and a talk was being given by a PD on the status of their program. Having just matched at a different program I wasn’t paying the most attention, but then he started talking about changes to the boards. He said he had talked to someone in the last two weeks who said this was a “done deal.”

He said the NBME is going to eliminate Step I and Step II exams and create one exam to be taken around the time Step II is taken right now. This exam would be a combo of basic science and clinical scenarios. The kicker is this exam would not be scored…strictly pass/fail.

The PD was concerned about the elimination of really the only objective criteria to compare applicants from different programs. He said there was talk of creating a surgery entrance exam that would be required of all applicants to surgery and would be scored to get back this objective measure.

Do you see all “competitive” specialties going to an entrance exam such as this? Do you think it would be a deterrent to medical students to pursue that field of study?

He also mentioned that there was some discussion on the creation of an American Council for Graduate SURGICAL Education (ACGSE) if the ACGME pursues a 60 hour work week.

XoQo

PGY1 Retractor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
So I was at an ACS state meeting this past week and a talk was being given by a PD on the status of their program. Having just matched at a different program I wasn’t paying the most attention, but then he started talking about changes to the boards. He said he had talked to someone in the last two weeks who said this was a “done deal.”

He said the NBME is going to eliminate Step I and Step II exams and create one exam to be taken around the time Step II is taken right now. This exam would be a combo of basic science and clinical scenarios. The kicker is this exam would not be scored…strictly pass/fail.

The PD was concerned about the elimination of really the only objective criteria to compare applicants from different programs. He said there was talk of creating a surgery entrance exam that would be required of all applicants to surgery and would be scored to get back this objective measure.

Do you see all “competitive” specialties going to an entrance exam such as this? Do you think it would be a deterrent to medical students to pursue that field of study?

He also mentioned that there was some discussion on the creation of an American Council for Graduate SURGICAL Education (ACGSE) if the ACGME pursues a 60 hour work week.

fascinating idea regarding the entrance exams. I wonder though about logistics -- who would administer it? would each med school's surgery dept administer it to their M4s? or would it be some sort of computer based scheme like the usmle's are now.

In some sense...it would seem that our surgery shelf scores are already available to PDs (well at least mine was strongly hinted at in my MSPE) as are shelves of most of our clerkships (my school did at least).

So those just might become more and more emphasized by PDs if boards went p/f.

What would be scary is if they convinced the ABS to give us a special version of the ABSITE as the entrance exam. haha. i guess if you think about it -- that's really what PDs might want to know: will this person do crappy on his absite and possibly his real boards. So why not just give us the ABSITE?

residents take theirs January, med students in surgery take theirs October.

heh

opr8n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i too have heard about the usmle going away and become one exam p/f

im not in favor of it

i am in favor of a surgery entrance exam is thiat happens
giving them a repackaged ABSITE would be appropiate IMO

About the Ads

jubb

Tern
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I think that combining Step I and Step II is a bad idea. Pass fail for anything is lame. I'm sure Program directors would be in favor of some standardized exam specific to their specialty, it gives them a better look at what kind of stuff their applicant knows. I don't think medical students should be submitted to that kind of stress.

I think the big push is to get medical students moving on the road to their career earlier. However I think broad based experience is necessary to have a good doc. You can't just train a cardiologist in cardiology, he's got to be exposed to the basics of it all and the specifics of cardiology.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.