Surgery experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcesHigh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fairly direct and simple question: besides shadowing, is there any thing you can do that specifically relates to this? Research wise and practice wise.

Members don't see this ad.

AcesHigh said:
Fairly direct and simple question: besides shadowing, is there any thing you can do that specifically relates to this? Research wise and practice wise.

research with animals where you perform surgery on the animals. this can range from mouse embryos, to mice, to rats, to dogs, pigs, primates, whatever... i have found that my rodent surgeries have made me a lot better at fine motor movements.

Good luck!

jhrugger

Right on with the surgery research. I work in a transplant surgery lab and I too know what you mean about really small surgeries (transplanting rat kidneys). Have you ever done a primate? Those things scare the **** out of me...lol

TP

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of time, local hospitals offer summer internships to pre-med students. These are less likely to occur at teaching hospitals, because the place will be over run with med students, interns, and residents...all wanting to get the same spot in an OR.

I interned at a private hospital for the past two summers and received quite possibly the best hands-on experience I could imagine. The surgeons I worked with were telling me that i probably would get that much exposure until I did either rotations or residency.

Some of the procedures I got to help out on:

- Retractor during gynecological surgeries (TVH, TAH etc...)
- First assist on ortho surgeries (spinal decompression and fusions, knee/hip replacements, hernia repairs)
- Camera holder during laproscopic surgeries (Lap. Choley & Lap Roux-en-Y)
- Assistant during Open-heart surgery (basically hold the heart back while surgeon works on vessels behind the heart)
- First assist on amputation surgeries (got to use powersaw to cut through guy's tibia during a "below the knee amputation" (BKA))
- Learned to do basic sutures.

Yea, it was a great experience and has come up mutiple times in interviews.

SirTony76 said:
Right on with the surgery research. I work in a transplant surgery lab and I too know what you mean about really small surgeries (transplanting rat kidneys). Have you ever done a primate? Those things scare the **** out of me...lol

TP

TP, I'm working on rat embryos and rat pups (taking out the urogenital sinus of the embyros and the urogenital region of the pups)... it's really cool, and probably similar to your transplants. Are you thinking of going into a surgical field? And no I haven't done primates, I guess my first experience on large scale surgeries will be on the human...

jhrugger

jhrugger said:
TP, I'm working on rat embryos and rat pups (taking out the urogenital sinus of the embyros and the urogenital region of the pups)... it's really cool, and probably similar to your transplants. Are you thinking of going into a surgical field? And no I haven't done primates, I guess my first experience on large scale surgeries will be on the human...

jhrugger

Yes I want to be a surgeon. I was thinking joint replacement surgery. My undergradute major is biomedical engineering and that's what engineers do...take stuff apart and then put it back together.

TP