Surgery for an Indian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Hair and a Beard

Obsessionist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to know how hard or easy it is to get a surgery residency in the us for an indian graduate. The people here have some pre-formed opinions about the impossibility of doing surgery in us. Tell me is it real hard? and if so why? I really want to give it a shot before opting for england or our good old India.

If there are any Indians doing surgery in us, I would love to hear from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I cannot tell you specifically about Indians in surgery programs in the US, I can say that general surgery has become one of the easier specialties to match into over the past couple of years. Many American students do not apply because of the terrible lifestyle (especially during residency) and choose less time intensive specialties instead. Last year there were 100 open positions after the match! This usually translates into a much higher chance of matching from a foreign medical school. That being said, you need to choose mid to lower tier programs because the best programs will likely still only take American grads or very exceptional foreign grads.

I guess I agree at SOME level with the above poster. However be aware -- thats just for general surgery. If you want to do a fellowship and specialize in like neuro, cardiovascular, etc. it is EXTREMELY difficult for FMGs.