Surgery from another specialty

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by tigermike37, Jun 12, 2008.

1. tigermike37

Fellow [Any Field]
    Do people ever switch into general surgery from other fields, say IM for example? I hear of IM and Peds people switching to ER and Rads (along with surgery residents as well), but I've never heard of someone switching to general surgery from a different medical specialty --- just curious to see if you guys know of people who've done it.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Usually people that switch out of G Surg go to:

*Path
    *Rads
    *Anesthesia

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    As Blade28 notes, not as commonly as people switching out of surgery, but it happens. We had a Uro resident who finished IM and right here on SDN Leukocyte is trying to get out of FM for surgery.

5. Hamilton Bailey

Resident [Any Field]
    I know a Plastic surgeon in St Paul/Minneapolis who completed a FM residency before joining a general surgery residency.. followed by a plastics fellowship..

6. mallika123

Resident [Any Field]
    i know of quite a few IMGs who are doing IM or FM now & trying to convert to Gen Surg...but not too many are successful! I too thought of going the IM route & then applying to GS after an IM residency instead of the prelim surgery route ( & some people do that) but I was advised against it..
    on the other hand i know of 4-5 attendings who shifted to GS after doing an IM residency & they said there was no problem at all..
    i don't know if you're an IMG or not, but what I heard was that it's not looked at very favorable if u're an IMG cuz it's understood/assumed that u wanted surgery from the start but were willing to settle for something else, so it appears that you're not whole heartedly willing to do what it takes...i was surprised when i heard that, but after 3-4 people (attendings & 1 PD) told me that i figured it might be the general opinion

7. DrDre311

DrDre311 Makaveli

Resident [Any Field]
    When I was a 3rd year med student there was a surgery resident who had switched from FP after his intern year, but I think they made him do another intern year.

8. Yeah, people don't seem to understand that doing a whole 'nother residency doesn't "improve your chances."

9. tigermike37

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm not an IMG nor am I trying to get into Gen Surg --- I'm beginning IM in July --- just curious to see if people actually went into Gen Surg after starting something else, because I've never seen it happen nor have I heard of it happening.

10. SLUser11

SLUser11 CRS

Attending Physician
    A CT surgeon I worked with in med school was board certified IM, then did Gen Surg at Yale followed by CT at Cleveland Clinic.

This guy was ridiculously full of knowledge. It was great to watch him argue with/own the Cards fellows in our combined IM/Surg conferences.

11. Leukocyte

Leukocyte Senior Member

I would gladly give away my left and right nuts, AND ***** myself to big fat old women to get into general surgery. But when it came time for me to decide between Prelim surgey and IM/FM/PEDS, I choose FM (for now).

Why?

-Security. If I do Prelim surgery,there is no guarantee that I will get a cat. spot down the line. I KNOW people (IMGs) who did prelim surgery for 2 years, and ended with nothing in the end. One of them is now desperate to get into ANY residency, because he did his prelim years as a very malignant surgey program, and got bad evaluations...Now no residency wants him because of this (in addition to the fact that it has been > 5 years since his med. school graduation), while 2 years ago he had many offers from peds.

-Way to prove myself. I am a IMG who "stuggled in the past. Step 1 = 91, Step 2 = 87 (s/p 1 failure). Had only 2 LORs from surgical attendings from community hospitals. I only managed to get prelim. surgery interview offers.
    I got many IM, FM, and Pediatics offers.

I choose not to go into IM or Peds because their residency does not involve FORMAL surgical training. Also IM and Peds residents do not do much procedures, sutturing, and cutting like Family Medicine residents do. As an intern in my unopposed FM program, I remove skin lesions, do I&D, drain and inject knees, suture wounds, place casts on a DAILY basis in the OP clinic and ER. In OB I 1ST assist on CS, and do episiotomies, repair 2nd, 3rd amd 4th degree tears, and do circumcisions like a peace of cake. On surgery rotations, I am the surgical resident and 1st assist on all surgeries. Now I have mastered all my hand knots and ties...just after being on the OB/GYN service for 8 weeks!

What sold me to do FM, instead of IM or peds, is this. When I was rotating with an IM attending in adult OP clinic that is affiliated with our hospital, a 19 yo male came in with an abcess on his hip. The attending, who is a well respected internist at that hospital was very reluctant to do the I&D himself, and sent the patient to the ER, where one of my fellow FM interns did it.:rolleyes:

-My goal is to do all my electives in surgery, in addition to the required surgical rotations in my program. I want to excell as a FM resident, and take this time to perfect my suture and procedural technique. I want to get stellar LORs from the general surgeons, orthopods, and gyn surgeons I work with, and apply to GS, agian, in 2 years.

12. Strength&Speed

Strength&Speed Need more speed......

awesome. that just pumped me up a little.

13. Strength&Speed

14. BlondeDocteur

Resident [Any Field]
    Calm down there, hoss.

Leukocyte-- best of luck-- you sound like a fantastically dedicated resident.

I knew a neurosurgery attending who had done a neurology residency first. He too was amazingly knowledgeable, and incredibly dedicated to his patients.

15. Strength&Speed

I'm not saying he's not good. I'm saying if PD's get a whiff of English like that they may not be so kind. All I'm saying is some fine tuning wouldn't hurt.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. BlondeDocteur

Resident [Any Field]
    Criminy, the guy wrote six paragraphs in eloquent, idiomatically correct English. It's obvious he's a native speaker. Two misplaced vowels / one homonym does not a red flag raise.

It appears that the take-home message is to run your PS through spell check and don't treat it like, I dunno, a hastily typed message on an internet forum.

18. mosfet

mosfet Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    BlondeDocteur, you need to learn to speak/write correct English before you post any further. Just so you know, it's "does not raise a red flag", not "does not a red flag raise".

19. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Sorry Mosfet.

Blonde Docteur's phrasing is not only acceptable, its actually a more elegant manner of sentence structure.

20. That's a correct use of the expression. For example, this article is called "A perfect correlate does not a surrogate make."

It's just a different form of syntax.

21. XoQo

XoQo PGY1 Retractor

Resident [Any Field]
    the official term for this type of syntax i believe is "anastrophe"

22. DrDre311

DrDre311 Makaveli

Resident [Any Field]
    Picking the why all on of syntax the BlondeDocteur post previous?

23. Wow! Nice! :thumbup:

24. SLUser11

SLUser11 CRS

Attending Physician
    I think he was joking/being sarcastic.

25. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    If that is the case, corrected stand I! ;)

26. Speak like Yoda, you do!

(AKA classic Latin structure...see Milton's "Paradise Lost" for a great example of this in the English form!)

27. Leukocyte

Leukocyte Senior Member

Thank youu all forr me support!

BlondeDocteur, be my friend, will you? You seem sugar like flower.:love:

Spead, thankk u for good luck wish. Me wish luck you too.

28. mallika123

Resident [Any Field]
  29. Strength&Speed

leukocyte-sorry if i was being presumptious. i had seen you failed a step and were from a different country. i thought perhaps english was the barrier that was preventing you from getting a surgical spot. but im sure you type/speak fine. the internet isn't often grammatically perfect, so if i presumed anything, i apologize.

30. He's from a foreign country? :confused:

31. BlondeDocteur

Resident [Any Field]

32. DrDre311

DrDre311 Makaveli

Resident [Any Field]
    Off topic, but did anybody catch Tiger's round yesterday? That guy is a freak. With his focus and hand-eye coordination, I bet he would have made a fantastic surgeon.

33. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    No, AFAIK he's American who studied in the Carib.

34. Ah, OK.

35. Playmakur42

Medical Student
    That last putt was amazing, especially given the circumstances.

Tiger also looks like he has gained about 20 pounds of muscle. When did he become a weightlifter?

36. DrDre311

DrDre311 Makaveli

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know, he's been pretty buff since his late 20's. I've heard he can bench 315 lbs or so. What a freak...I wish I could play golf like that. I knew that last putt was going in even before he started chasing it down there.

37. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member

Attending Physician
    Dang. With a press like that he could match Ortho with only a 185 step 1. Nice.