SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Surgery Hours

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by PreMedDocMD, Feb 27, 2007.

1. PreMedDocMD

PreMedDocMD 2+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Is it at all possible, as a surgeon, to work 40-60 hours per week (as an attending)?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PreMedDocMD

Feb 27, 2007
    Woops...I misspelled the title of the thread adding an e...is there a way to change the title?

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Done.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Yes, there are a variety of options for practice and specialty which will allow you to work fewer hours. Of course, that often means making less, but if that isn't as important as the hours worked, then it is doable.

There are a fair number of threads regarding work hours, you may wish to search the threads in this forum as you will find some that may be helpful to you.

6. PreMedDocMD

Feb 27, 2007
    Nah, as a surgeon, I will earn enough without having to kill myself with work, so not earning every last penny isn't too important. Family is also important. BTW Kimberli, can you tell me some of the subspecialties that don't require a lot of time (or can all of them be flexible?) so that I will know what to search for? I am sure there are tons of threads on sub-specialites, but it would help if I narrowed the search down to a few, I think.

On a side note, great avatar Kimberli :thumbup: .

7. TxMed

TxMed SpottieOttieDopalicious 5+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2006
    PreMedDocMD...what an ambiguous name.

basically you want to think about subspecialties with elective procedures/non-emergent procedures. i'll make a short list...anyone feel free to correct or disagree

Most Flexible/Least Hours:
    1. Surgical Oncology (our own Dr. Cox can fill you in on the particulars of this field)
    2. Plastic Surgery (cosmetic with you own shop will give you the flow and good hours)
    3. Colorectal (decent hours, subject matter is not everyone's favorite)
    4. urology (fairly calm unless your doing uro-trauma...which gets a little sticky)

i'm sure there are some more surgical specialties with fewer hours. also...hate to be the downer, but chances are that you won't go into surgery. even in medical school most people do the "flavor-of-the-week" thing until mid-third year. BUT, it is never to early to start learning about what each specialty has to offer. good luck.

-tm

8. Winged Scapula

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    I don't have much to add to what TxMed has written. You essentially have two schools of thought here...

1) pick a surgical specialty which generally has a large elective load and little call

or

2) do what you want, but try and find a position in that field which is lighter than average.

The former, as TxMed notes, includes Surg Onc, PRS (as long as you aren't taking trauma/face/hand call), Colorectal and Urology. I would add Minimally Invasive (less after hours tearful calls from patients if you don't do bariatrics as well), Endocrine (but political battles with ENT and General Surgeons and can be hard to find a job which doesn't require Gen Surg call), ENT (if no trauma call - cool head and neck cases).

I would stay away from: Transplant, Cardiothoracic, and Trauma (although if you are in a Level 2 trauma center and have a large group so your call is spread out, over a month, your hours may not be more than 60...but there still is in-house call).

General Surgery is not necessarily to be counted out. The group I am likely to go to work with (because the surgical specialties come under the heading of Dept of Gen Surg) uses an Emergency Surgery Service, so all their cases are elective and mostly outpatient. So this can be an option as well, especially with a large group in which you can spread the weekend rounding duties out.