Surgery in the SE for a DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Redcross

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd yr soon to be 4th yr DO student. I am very interested in surgery. I am from the SouthEast and would like to get into a residency somewhere in the SE. The problem is there are NO DO surgical residencies in the SE. Therefore, I have to apply to MD residencies. I have not taken the USMLE step 1 but am thinking about taking the Step 2 in Aug right after taking the COMLEX step 2 since the USMLE can be taken in any order. My question is...is this a good move?? Secondly, what are the chance of a DO getting into a surgical residency in the SE having only taken the COMLEX and USMLE Step 2? Any insight???
Thanks in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

At UT Memphis, I know that at least one of the general surgery residents is a DO. I don't know what it takes for a DO to match in an MD program. But UT has done it in the past.

The UT program gives you very good training, my chief had something like 1800 cases. They work you very hard, with some of the residents (but not all) complaining about lifestyle. Schedules will change next year due to mandates by RRC, so next year will be a year of transition and change.

Good luck

I am a DO from NYCOM and I matched in an Allopathic program. This year NYCOM had like 10 people match in surgery, 5 DO/5 allopathic programs. Only 2 or 3 of us took any of the USMLE steps ( I took both). The most important thing is to do well on whatever test you take. My advise to you is to do well on your boards and do rotations at the hospitals you are interested in. Remember, there were lots of spots that did'nt match this year in surgery, and the match percentage was the lowest ever this year. Less and less people are applying to surgery, and this works in your favor. Work your butt of 4th year and things should work out. If you need anything else, let me know. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any questions about the UT-Memphis program let me know and i'll forward them to my mother b\c she works in surgery w\the program. Just ask if you have any.

Brett

Thanks for all the information....

I think UT-Memphis is one of the top clinical training programs in the SE. If you have any questions concering the program I will be glad to answer them. I am currently a senior resident in the program so my opinion maybe somewhat biased but it is honest.

Thanks Z...do this program require the USMLE or will I be able to get in with the COMLEX?? What are the work hrs like.....call, prerounds, post rounds??? Would you apply to this program again?? Also, why do it seem like more porgrams in the SE moving to 6yr porgrams as if 5yr is not enough? Thanks for your thoughts.

"do this program ......." ", why do it seem like more programs......"

Ok Man the 1st time I let it go, but twice in the same post????? Come on now, we can do better than that.

I wasn't aware that this was a freakin english class......

I'm playing man......just being an dingus this morning. :rolleyes:

I'm not even playing an a****** and I had the same first impression...one time,typo, second time, there's a pattern here. Maybe you should be taking a freakin English class. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr Redcross:
•I am a 3rd yr soon to be 4th yr DO student. I am very interested in surgery. I am from the SouthEast and would like to get into a residency somewhere in the SE. The problem is there are NO DO surgical residencies in the SE. Therefore, I have to apply to MD residencies. I have not taken the USMLE step 1 but am thinking about taking the Step 2 in Aug right after taking the COMLEX step 2 since the USMLE can be taken in any order. My question is...is this a good move?? Secondly, what are the chance of a DO getting into a surgical residency in the SE having only taken the COMLEX and USMLE Step 2? Any insight???
Thanks in advance!!!!•••••Hi there,
Look at Washington Hospital Center, in Washington , DC. At least one of their trauma surgeons is a DO and several of their general surgeons are DOs. They have a new residency director who is the bomb and they have a new affiliation with Georgetown University since the same corporation that owns Washington Hospital Center now owns Georgetown University Hospital. WHC is a complete program with Burn Center located on site. :cool:

OK, now I am starting to think that this is becoming an English forum.....some people have nothing better to do then to grade postings!!!!

Thanks to everyone who actually contributed some information and did not get hung up on typos.

Tanks....oops :wink: