Surgery Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vascular

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common to get interviews before the Dean's letter is sent out, or does the bulk of the offers come after November 1. I have recieved 4 interviews and would like between 10-15 (applied to 30 programs). Just would like to know what other applicants for categorical surgery are experiencing.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've received interviews at 6 programs, and this is prior to any Dean's Letter release (though my Dean's letter was released today). Plus, most of the above programs offered an interview prior to my letters of recommendations being available. Hopefully, more will roll in soon for us..... I've applied to the same number you have...25.

Depends on the competitiveness of your application, although I would venture to say that the bulk of the offers will come after November 1 (4thyear - how is it that your Dean's letter is being released early? Has ERAS changed its rules about that?).

I wouldn't worry - from my experience there were many programs last year that didn't download any information on applicants or make any advances until all information, including Dean's Letters was available.

I'm sure you'll get more offers in the ensuing weeks. Best of luck to both of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:
[QB]Depends on the competitiveness of your application, although I would venture to say that the bulk of the offers will come after November 1 (4thyear - how is it that your Dean's letter is being released early? Has ERAS changed its rules about that?).
[QB]

From my match experience, a third of my interviews came in after I submitted by USMLE scores, a third after all my letters came in, and a third after my Dean's Letter was released.

And you're right, if true, fourthyear's school is violating the 1987 agreement restricting release of Dean's Letters prior to November 1st.

Sorry, I'm a ****** about the Dean's letter stuff. The way our school does it is that all the letter's are scanned prior to the 1st. But, no school has downloaded the letters yet. So, as of Thursday, they should start looking at it. sorry....