surgery notes and orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOindahouse

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do u write daily notes for ortho patients, and how do u write post op notes for ortho, i dont want to look like a fool

Members don't see this ad.

DOindahouse said:
how do u write daily notes for ortho patients, and how do u write post op notes for ortho, i dont want to look like a fool

This is too funny..
Writing like a 14 year-old girl on AOL instant messenger is a good start.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOindahouse said:

Just freestyle it. Dazzle them with some osteopathic manipulative medical terminology. Be creative. Remember, there is no "right way" to write a surgical note.

Seriously man, just wing it.

ADC VAAN DIML (hope your familiar with this mnemonic- admit to, dx, condition, vitals, allergies, activity, nursing, diet, iVFs, meds, labs)
In the activity section, you have to specify the weight bearing status (NWB, WBAT, partial weight bearing etc) of the extremity, you usually write PT/OT consult , and Strict Ice/elevation

Meds- pain control with a narc, nausea control with zofran, abx coverage with ancef (or in an open fx- something more broad spectrum), start anticoagulating pod 1 with lovenox or coumadin, stool softener with colace or senokot. The rest is standard post op stuff

and as far as daily/post op notes
Check the neurovascular status
Cap refill
Sensation intact to light touch in the nerve distributions
are the most distal muscles working (EHL/TA/GS for LE, DIO/FDP, EPL, APB for UE)
usually write something like splint to LE c/d/i...

and for the plan, you generally won't go wrong with
Dispo planning,
Pain control
PT therapy

Heh, ortho notes are way easy