Surgery & OMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careofme

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious how surgeons specifically can incorporate OMT and the principles of Osteopathy into their practice.

Thanks!

Careofme

Members don't see this ad.

So why are there Osteopathic Surgery Residencies? If your answer is that they are the same as Allopathic Residencies, why won't the AOA approve it as such?

Careofme

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by QuinnNSU:
•They don't.•••••FYI:
Today we had a PGIV General surgeon as a guest lecturer. Prior to his residency he did a one year fellowship in OMT. In class today he pulled out his pocket version of the diagram of Chapman's Points. He says it helps him diagnose visceral problems eg. gallstones. He did also say that he thought he was the only General Surgeon in the country who has done an OMT fellowship.

I just got off my Gen Surg month last month, and never once did I see any OMM or any concepts used... he is a DO and did a DO GS residency.

We also get lectures every week from the surgery residents, and never once have they said anything remotely related to OMM.

Careofme,
I think there's a key concept you're forgetting here...being an osteopathic physician/surgeon is not only defined by use of OMT in your practice. It's defined by your attitude towards patients and the healing process. OMT is merely one tool that Osteopaths use to heal...
just my 2cents,

Greg
MS1 WU-COMP

gwarner,

I didn't forget...I was just curious to see if there was much use of OMT in Surgery that's all.

Thanks for the input!

Careofme

I know a few orthopedic surgeons who use OMT in their offices. Basic stuff: Lumbar rolls, cervical HVLA, etc. At osteopathic hospitals where there is an inpatient OMM service (such as here in Texas), all post-op bowel cases and CABG's get an automatic OMM consult (ileus prophylaxis for the bowel cases and sternum/rib myofascial release for the CABG's.

I did 2 months orthopedic surgery and during one month, we had at least one patient a day that we used manipulation on.
Scenerio: New patient from FP to rule out cervical radiculopathy...or s/p MVA with neck strain...we decide manipulation is treatment of choice with use of NSAIDS and referral to PT.

Honestly, you would hope that if these were DO FP's then they could r/o discogenic radiculopathy and choose manipulation themselves...but some of these patients came via a Nurse Practitioner (soapbox=NP's do not save money...useless referrals and unneeded tests).