Surgery overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celiac Plexus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://one.revver.com/watch/373522

What do you all think?

I think that it's the beginning of "globalization" of health care. Free market healthcare in its nascent stages.

I think that competition is healthy in all forms. Over time, some of these overseas hospitals will establish themselves as centers of excellence. And if they are cheaper alternatives then all the better. Why should someone pay 40,000 dollars for a hip replacement by an average, run-of-the-mill community hospital in the US, when he/she can have the same operation by potentially a better team somewhere else for a fraction of the cost?

However I do think that patients should understand that if there is a complication, the surgeon that performed their operation may be inaccessible. And for surgeons in the US, get ready to take care of these overseas complications....

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting.

Cut out the high cost of malpractice and the relative standard of living and you'd have a cheaper cost system here. Oh, let's not forget the real enemy - insurance companies.