Surgery prelim year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candycane

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could give me some information. How do I know how many seats in surgery are avail for prelim positions? Also how difficult are they to obtain in the scramble? I matched advanced but not prelim medicine.

Thanks for any help that can e given

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, don't feel as bad cause I didn't match either :mad: :(

I applied for Gen Surg though, and the # of unfilled spots went up, and I am pretty sure that you will get a prelim spot...most people wouldn't want to do one anyways. Good luck to you!!

shahkg said:

I applied for Gen Surg though, and the # of unfilled spots went up, and I am pretty sure that you will get a prelim spot...most people wouldn't want to do one anyways. Good luck to you!!

Thanks for the encouragment. Good luck tomorrow! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Blade28 said:
Scrambled!

didn't know how to take your post since i thought you would have matched.. but nonetheless, congradulations!

doc05 said:
say it ain't so, Blade! I figured you'd have matched.

Thanks! :) (And thanks to everyone else who wished me congrats.)

Yeah, who knows what happened in the Match? Just too many great applicants, I guess. I did end up Scrambling into a good program within the first hour, however. :thumbup:

shahkg said:

NRMP 2005 stat:

473 total General Surgery (Prelim + Cat) unfilled this year (2005)
6 open categorical spots, 467 prelims spots for SCRAMBLE!!!
Tough year indeed.

***The unscramble list has UCLA in the General Surgery (C) list, but if you check the NRMP # for the program and the number of spots offered (2), the unfilled UCLA spot is actually a plastics spot.

Yup, it was crazy...phones were always busy, or voicemails were always full. I was calling with two phones simultaneously, my school's landline and my own cell phone...at times, when I finally got through to someone, I'd forget which program I was talking to! :)

Thank goodness that most programs just want you to send them your info via ERAS, though (as opposed to via fax). Makes the process much easier.

Blade, I can't believe you didn't match!!! Didn't you apply to like 60-some programs and go on TONS of interviews? Just goes to show you how unpredictable things can be. Guess you were a little overconfident with your ROL. ;) I'm glad things worked out well for you in the scramble. Mind sharing where you're going??

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Blade.. though I too am surprised you didn't match!
Can you give us who hope to match (or scramble) next year tips on how to scramble? How do the schools decide how to fill 6 spots from hundreds of applicants?

Amy said:
Blade, I can't believe you didn't match!!! Didn't you apply to like 60-some programs and go on TONS of interviews? Just goes to show you how unpredictable things can be. Guess you were a little overconfident with your ROL. ;) I'm glad things worked out well for you in the scramble. Mind sharing where you're going??

Looks like some of you kids are getting testy...I hope you're not like this with your patients. "Um..sir...I guess you smoked one too many cigarettes. I'm glad things worked out for you and we were able to whack out part of your lung! ;) "

Looks like some of you kids are getting testy...I hope you're not like this with your patients. "Um..sir...I guess you smoked one too many cigarettes. I'm glad things worked out for you and we were able to whack out part of your lung! "

No kidding... I'm sure Blade28 really wants to hear how overconfident he was with his ROL. I'm sure that Amy didn't mean it quite the way that it sounded, but still, the phrase "salt in an open wound" comes to mind.

Blade28, all the luck to you. A minor setback, but I've heard of several people who started with a prelim year and ended up in a fantastic categorical spot.

sugarplum said:
No kidding... I'm sure Blade28 really wants to hear how overconfident he was with his ROL. I'm sure that Amy didn't mean it quite the way that it sounded, but still, the phrase "salt in an open wound" comes to mind.

Didn't mean it that way at all. Blade and I post a lot on here, and I think he knows that I didn't mean it to be mean at all... just a little jab, for fun. Since he seems to be very happy with his result (scrambled into a good spot), I didn't think I'd offend him by posting that.

Nah, it's OK, the combination of relief in Scrambling, plus knowing EXACTLY where I'll be next year (finally!) results in an enormous high...no one can bring me down right now. :)

I have no idea what happened. I did apply broadly, interviewed and ranked a ton of programs...my classmates, friends, Dean, Surgery Chairman, and even some Program Directors that I spoke to on the phone (when I was Scrambling) asked "what? you didn't Match? what happened?"

Definitely no offense taken...I've traded posts with Amy before, knows she didn't mean anything by it, and will definitely be curious where she ends up tomorrow. I'm sure it's a great program!

Amy said:
Didn't mean it that way at all. Blade and I post a lot on here, and I think he knows that I didn't mean it to be mean at all... just a little jab, for fun.

Good point, too, since if we can't poke fun at each other...well, then your skin may be too thin for the surgery culture. :)

so you're killing us...what program is going to be lucky enough to have you next year???

BTW, as for advice on how to Scramble into one of those 6 Categorical spots...no idea, since I didn't do that. :)

For me, once I found out I didn't Match, I went online to FREIDA, looked up all the different Surgery programs in states that I would even consider going to, eliminated all the military ones, and ended up with 211 programs. I then started going through them, making occasional notes, writing down which programs I'd (1) applied to but wasn't granted an interview, (2) applied to, was offered an interview but couldn't make it, (3) applied to and interviewed at, or (4) didn't apply to. I figured this would be useful when I talked to the PD on the phone. I also thought about which state, geographically, would be ideal to me, and which programs I wanted to call first - that way, when the unfilled programs list came out at 12 noon Eastern yesterday, I wouldn't be blindly flailing around without a plan.

I did try calling the Categorical spots first, but of course they were always busy. The difficulty with the Scramble is that the phone lines are usually busy, or the voice mailboxes are full. Most were full in the first 10-15 minutes of the Scramble. I had brought my cell phone to my school, so I was dialing with two phones simultaneously - my school's landline and my own cell phone. (Sometimes, when I reached a live human on the phone, I wouldn't even know which program I was talking to! :) )

I was also emailing programs when I couldn't get through after multiple attempts on the phone. Their contact info is on the unfilled programs list.

What other tips? I brought breakfast and lunch with me, in case I'd be calling all day, but as it turns out, I only needed an hour to Scramble.

Know that there are other options, if you so desire. The two other options that I admittedly BRIEFLY considered (before rejecting), were:

*Take a year off, work/do research, apply for the Match again
*Try to Scramble into a less competitive field (i.e. change from General Surgery into something else)

I just couldn't see myself doing anything else, so I stuck with G Surg. That left me with another two options:

*Try to Scramble into a Categorical spot in a so-so location
*Try to Scramble into a Preliminary spot in a location of my choosing, and hope for the most stable program possible (and I made sure to talk to the PD, to ask about what happened to the Prelims after the first year...booted out? repeat the Match? become Categoricals at their program? or somewhere else in the city/state/country?)

Wow, I'm on a roll now. Any other questions, let me know!

I can't describe the feeling of knowing where you're going to be this June. It's great...now I can plan shipping my car, moving, finding a new place (apartment? condo? house?), even silly things like changing my cell phone number, possibly teaching myself Spanish, etc.! :)

Blade28 said:
I can't describe the feeling of knowing where you're going to be this June. It's great...now I can plan shipping my car, moving, finding a new place (apartment? condo? house?), even silly things like changing my cell phone number, possibly teaching myself Spanish, etc.! :)

You're not gonna tell us, are you!! You're such a tease. Maybe somewhere in Texas, or So Cal? Lots of spanish speakers there...

Nah, I'll tell you guys. :) Emory!

I'm also excited because instead of the traditional 1-year Prelim year, they have a 2-year program, then they're usually integrated into the Categorical track (since you've already put in two years with them).

Blade28 said:
Nah, I'll tell you guys. :) Emory!

I'm also excited because instead of the traditional 1-year Prelim year, they have a 2-year program, then they're usually integrated into the Categorical track (since you've already put in two years with them).

Hey Blade i don't know who u are but i bet u are a really great guy (U don't sound a surgeon at all)--I think Emory is lucky to have u men!!

Thanks! Yeah, people tell me I don't have the personality of a surgeon...oh well. :)