surgery residency abroad? from US medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrkndply

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone completed medical school in the US and then gone on to do a surgery residency in a country other than the US (ex. europe)?

Growing up my family moved between 3 continents and the experience of learning three+ languages understanding different cultures with a spectrum of socioeconomic standards has given me so much perspective and understanding that it almost seems more valuable than the big house, comfy lifestyle etc. that medicine might give my family and kids here.... as long as i can afford to give them a good education/ school i would love to go this route...those early experiences have enriched my life so much...

Any thoughts on this? (ps. I'm an MSIII but thinking ahead)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone completed medical school in the US and then gone on to do a surgery residency in a country other than the US (ex. europe)?

Growing up my family moved between 3 continents and the experience of learning three+ languages understanding different cultures with a spectrum of socioeconomic standards has given me so much perspective and understanding that it almost seems more valuable than the big house, comfy lifestyle etc. that medicine might give my family and kids here.... as long as i can afford to give them a good education/ school i would love to go this route...those early experiences have enriched my life so much...

Any thoughts on this? (ps. I'm an MSIII but thinking ahead)

If you do your residency outside the U.S. you likely won't ever be able to practice in the U.S.

Why not train here and then try to get a job elsewhere? That way you can always come back if you want to.

do you already have kids? If not, why leave the country now instead of in a few years once your kids are old enough to benefit from an international experience?

Reactions: 2 users
As someone who had no plans to return to the US, I can tell you that the American Board of Surgery is not very accepting of foreign surgical training. While not impossible to work in the US while having done residency in another First World country, it is rather difficult so as @lazymed notes, you are better off doing your training here as a US residency certificate is much more portable.

You can always travel widely, do locums or work with MSF for cultural experiences for you and the family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few foreign trained surgeons working in the US, mainly in academic programs. But, most of them worked extensively in their country of training for many years before they accepted a US position.

Matthias Loebe for many years at the Texas Heart Institute, now at Miami Miller is an example.

Last edited:
Yep, Methodist too. (Loebe still has a biosketch on the THI webpage.) Anyway, impressive man, I met him at a BCM conference in 2012.

Thanks for the replies, will definitely keep exploring this..lots of food for thought