docrd24

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
HI!
I am an indian grad and m desp to get surgery in the states. i was thinking on the lines of uro/ortho and i am aware they thats a tough ask ,m willin to do gen surg and then try for a change............. What all do the univs look for when they give one a call[interveiw]?what do they want in an img so that he can be selected for a program?

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
programs will look at your grades, USMLE scores, letters of reference - especially helpful would be letters from well-known american clinicians. clinical experience in the U.S. is important. research is also an asset. make sure you are fluent in english and can work in/with another culture. what some img's do is a preliminary surgery year (relatively easy to get), then try to find a categorical spot. if you have any contacts in the US, try to speak with surgery attendings/PD's/chairman.

I suggest you forget about both ortho and urology. these are highly competitive, there are many more well-qualified american grads than available spots, and you'd be setting yourself up for serious disappointment. not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but you need to be realistic.

best of luck.

B

Blade28

Have you taken any of the USMLE Steps yet? Visa status? Any US clinical experience? Letters of recommendation from US physicians?

Amy

15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Attending Physician
Also, remember there are plenty of community hospital programs as well! You mentioned universities in your post, but there are many different types of programs out there! Community programs are a bit easier to get into, in general. Do some research (including this board) to figure out pros and cons of the different types of programs and to figure out which would best serve your career goals.

Good luck.

OP
D

docrd24

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
Blade28 said:
Have you taken any of the USMLE Steps yet? Visa status? Any US clinical experience? Letters of recommendation from US physicians?
NO

OP
D

docrd24

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
doc05 said:
programs will look at your grades, USMLE scores, letters of reference - especially helpful would be letters from well-known american clinicians. clinical experience in the U.S. is important. research is also an asset. make sure you are fluent in english and can work in/with another culture. what some img's do is a preliminary surgery year (relatively easy to get), then try to find a categorical spot. if you have any contacts in the US, try to speak with surgery attendings/PD's/chairman.

I suggest you forget about both ortho and urology. these are highly competitive, there are many more well-qualified american grads than available spots, and you'd be setting yourself up for serious disappointment. not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but you need to be realistic.

best of luck.
Hi! doc05
Thanks for the info,pls let me know if this helps....
I was a part of a research team during my internship,though the research is going on i have not been able to give it enough time[will be giving the step 1 on 15of APRIL]
How does it help if i know some physicans in the U.S?

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
docrd24 said:
How does it help if i know some physicans in the U.S?
because a letter of reference from India will carry very little weight. The most useful letters of reference are when your interviewer happens to know your letter writer - much more likely if they are in the U.S.

also keep in mind that you not familiar with the system here in the U.S., and will need a mentor that you can go to for advice throughout the application cycle. so while physicians back home may want to help, they are not part of the system, so their advice will not be as helpful.

good luck with the USMLE. make sure you use plenty of commercial test prep materials, and visit kaplanmedical.com for helpful material. don't make the mistake of other img's by using textbooks -- they are needlessly detailed and will hurt your score.

avgjoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
I don't know that I would write off all letters of reference from India. Depends on the institution I think. If you get one from AIIMS or CMC for example from those who publish enough and attend conferences here it will most likely be worth something. At least the institution will be respected. But I totally agree that if you are from an institution that is completely unknown here then it will be worth little.
Also if you know of people from your institution wh ohave come here, contact them by all means. Find out how they got here, and if/how they can help you.
If you don't get in for residency, there's always the option of doing it there (probably in less time) and then coming here to work. By the number of Indian docs here who studied abroad, it does not seem to be overly tough.