Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
Is it possible for a US medical student to apply to a surgery residency in foreign hospitals, e.g., in the EU?

And if so, any recommendations on hospitals with decent programs in general surgery?

My apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

Bo Hurley

Membership Revoked
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
It may be possible to do an intern year + 2 years of basic surgical training (BST) in places like Britain. However it doesn't compare much to the training you'll get if you do those same 3 years in America.

And those 3 years (internship + 2 years BST) you do in Europe may get you only 1 year of credit for PGY1 if you want to come back and do general surgery residency in the States. But most likely you'll have to start all over again.

IMHO, the best place in the world to train to be a surgeon is the U.S. So if your goal is the be a surgeon in the States then do all your training here.