Surgery Resident gets fired for cell phone pictures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stupid thing to do.

However, you would thing that a guy with a tattoo on his schlong wouldn't care who saw it. I'm sure he's whipped it out on a number of occasions which he cannot recall.

Similar situation happened in our trauma bay about a year ago. It wasn't naughty bits, though, but an extremely bad femur fracture. This got sent around on cellphones and eventually made it out of the hospital into the general public (this is the risk, like telling a "secret", of sharing with someone else). Even though the patient couldn't be identified in the shots, heads rolled. No one got fired, but a lot of people got letters put in their file. And, our policy was changed. No consent, no pictures. Cellphones verboten in the trauma bay.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it was a bad idea to take the picture and risk your job like that BUT the guy had a tattoo on his willie and he felt violated?? Ridiculous. He ought to be ashamed of himself for making a big deal out of it and costing a doctor his job.

Check me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't the one making a "big deal" out of it. The hospital was.

-copro

Apparently someone else leaked the guy's picture and name which the resident hadn't done.
So yes it's stupid but come on the guy has "hot rod" tattoed on his genitals how different is it from taking a picture of someone with a knife in his chest. Everybody does this to some degree.
Ruining a residents career on this is wrong.

I read the related article on this and it said a member of the surgical staff anonymously gave the info to a local paper. The hospital told the patient directly, so he wouldn't read about it in the paper first. This resident was probably really nasty to some surgical staff member and that person went through hoops to ruin him....yup, pay back is a B***h. I think that it was terrible for him to lose his job like that.

Dang, I wish I could have seen the picture, I'm trying to work on the drawings for my penis tattoo and could use some good ideas..

Yeah, it was a bad idea to take the picture and risk your job like that BUT the guy had a tattoo on his willie and he felt violated?? Ridiculous. He ought to be ashamed of himself for making a big deal out of it and costing a doctor his job.

The guy has every right to tattoo hot rod on his hot rod, and also every right not to have people taking pictures of it without his consent while he's asleep for a medical proceedure. Professionalism...

Stop trying to justify this guy's actions. Taking sexualized, and clearly non-medical, photographs of a patient without consent shows incredibly poor judgment on his part. Regardless of what the patient had tatooed on his dick, he is still human being with a right to privacy. That ought to include not having non-medical photos taken during surgery. Should he have been fired? It's tough to say if that's a fair punishment. This will be a huge black mark on his integrity for the rest of his career. Whoever turned him in is a real a$$hole and probably violated HIPPA (and should be sued) if he gave the newspaper the patient's name.

I once was doing a cysto on an 80 year old vet. Looked like a normal old guy talking about his grandkids and so on. When it came time for the cysto we found he had an anchor tatooed on the head of his penis. Pure awesome. I love the VA. If I would have had a camera I probably would have take a picture. Well maybe not. How drunk would you have to be? It makes me hurt just thinking about.

wow, i can't believe people are actually trying to justify the resident's behavior. there are so many federal and state law protecting patient's privacy that this shouldn't be an issue. should the doc lost his job? maybe not, but a similar situation happened in our trauma bay as well in the last year. multiple medical personal, from nurses up to attendings were fired for releasing pictures.

if there is a medical purpose for taking the picture, fine and dandy, but everyone here knows there is no valid reason for taking the pic other than its cool. taking a picture of trauma can, in fact, be educational. there is absolutely nothing educational about showing this guys junk to other people.

The word on the street is that one of their CRNA's with a super-sized inferior complex was the one. The admin is searching for the one who leaked it to the newspaper. I hope that person is fired or severely ostracized so that they leave and go to another state. Be careful of who you trust in the hospital, especially nurses.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=479457

Taking the picture was a lapse in judgment by the resident, but does the punishment fit the crime? His career may be over.

Mayo had no choice but to fire him because it ended up in the newspapers. If this was internal, I doubt that the punishment would have been so severe.