surgery shelf question-not already answered, I looked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok i went through all the surgery shelf threads and I have learned a ton but what I am still wondering is that I seem to read that there is a lot of GI stuff on and also people say there is a lot of medicine, such as fluids, electrolytes, shock etc BUT I am wondering if there is a lot of medicine behind GI conditions-such as all the diseases of the stomach, small intestine etc-basically if you looked at a GI medicine type book is that stuff on there? thanks for any input! catman

Members don't see this ad.

1. The test isn't all medicine
2. With Recall, you should be able to answer the vast majority of G.I. questions.

TheCat said:
Ok i went through all the surgery shelf threads and I have learned a ton but what I am still wondering is that I seem to read that there is a lot of GI stuff on and also people say there is a lot of medicine, such as fluids, electrolytes, shock etc BUT I am wondering if there is a lot of medicine behind GI conditions-such as all the diseases of the stomach, small intestine etc-basically if you looked at a GI medicine type book is that stuff on there? thanks for any input! catman

Hi there,
There is nothing on the General Surgery shelf exam that is not thoroughly covered in Lawrence. You can get through the General Surgery book and the Lawrence book for Surgical specialties very easily. There are questions in the back of each chapter that more than cover every topic on the exam.

Before you start looking at books outside of General Surgery, have a look at a concise General Surgery text like Lawrence or Surgery Recall and you should be fine.

njbmd :)