1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

surgery shelf question-not already answered, I looked

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by TheCat, Nov 13, 2005.

1. TheCat

TheCat Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Ok i went through all the surgery shelf threads and I have learned a ton but what I am still wondering is that I seem to read that there is a lot of GI stuff on and also people say there is a lot of medicine, such as fluids, electrolytes, shock etc BUT I am wondering if there is a lot of medicine behind GI conditions-such as all the diseases of the stomach, small intestine etc-basically if you looked at a GI medicine type book is that stuff on there? thanks for any input! catman

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RonaldColeman

RonaldColeman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

1. The test isn't all medicine
    2. With Recall, you should be able to answer the vast majority of G.I. questions.

4. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DVT and PE. Know it cold.
    Management of SBO. Know it well

5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    There is nothing on the General Surgery shelf exam that is not thoroughly covered in Lawrence. You can get through the General Surgery book and the Lawrence book for Surgical specialties very easily. There are questions in the back of each chapter that more than cover every topic on the exam.

Before you start looking at books outside of General Surgery, have a look at a concise General Surgery text like Lawrence or Surgery Recall and you should be fine.

njbmd :)