surgery to DERMA

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by jambola, Oct 31, 2002.

1. jambola

jambola Junior Member

Hi fellas..

I am a PGY2 surgery resident who wants to leave hell and enter the cozy heavens of Dermatology. Imho its highly improbable though not impossible. I have a publication on a skin pathology (basic research). Can I do the unthinkable? Any advice would be appreciated.

PS.. I miss the DVDs!!!!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Ahhh...the Holy Grail of residencies...Derm! ;)

While I agree, its probably impossible (who leaves a Derm residency), have you/can you speak to your PD about your thoughts (ie, would he or she help you find a spot)? You need some insider information about open spots unless you wish to go through the match and start from PGY-1 again. Often the best spots are found via word of mouth - ie, so and so at Program X has heard that a Derm resident is quitting and notifies friend and Program Y who calls PD and gets spot.

Otherwise, I have o suggestions but will offer you much luck! :D

4. jambola

jambola Junior Member

Thanks for your opinion. Frankly speaking, I am perplexed as to when's the right time to ask my PD about this? I fear a backlash... Plus I have suddenly found this immense affection for Dermatology (it came from nowhere). Its 'Derma or bust' from now on... I dont know where I'm heading.+pissed+