surgery to Family medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calirad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a PGY2 surgical resident, but I think surgery is not for me. I would like to switch into EM or Family medicine next year or now ( I think it is impossible, right? probably no opening spot)
What should i do? I have great letters from my surgical attendings, great step 1 & 2 ( > 255), and great clinical grades. ( but not AOA).
My current residency program is in California, do I have any chance to stay in cali at all? I am interested in the big academic programs, how difficult it is to match into these programs
I will apply through ERAS again? Any other suggestion? Should I contact the PDs in California?
BTW, my PD will fully support my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it's very possible. I got to know a number of people who switched between different specialties within our institution, and those guys/girls switched between very very competitive specialties. For example, I worked with 2 attendings and 2 residents who did PGY1 surgery-prelim/categorical and then continued onto as IMED, Family, and worked with a resident who was in ortho then switched to Emergency. As long as there's an opening (especially primary care, so many unfilled spots!), I think that you would be welcome to apply and have an equal or even better chance of getting in with ur stats, current level of training. goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this doesn't answer your question at all, but there's an interesting article about how a retired general surgeon became a family physician. I don't necessarily agree with how easy it was for him to switch (I think that demeans our profession, but that's a different topic). I thought you might find it interesting:

http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=728455&pageID=1&sk=&date=

I don't think he made it sound too easy. He went through a pretty rigorous reentry program, and admits to having "much to learn" and relying on reference sources a lot.

That being said, I would not have hired him, as my group requires physicians to be ABMS board certified in the specialty in which they practice.

Should i contact the PDs in California and explain my situation....I dont think there is any opening, but is it worth to try.

this is NOT unheard of. But I recommend Family Medicine (and not because I'm an FP doctor). Do your residency and get board certified in family. Your 2 years of surgery will allow you to get a license and moonlight in the ER. You can do all the ER you want (since you'll be ATLS certified and can do procedures..make that ER money...and then when you want to slow down, do a nice easy primary care gig. It's hard to go ER to primary care..but with the right training, you can easily do primary care to ER. one of my residency classmates was a former surgery resident and my intern was too. They both do all ER now. but they have options. My best friend does all ER and he's even the ER director with family medicine training. ER's need staff. They will hire you as long as you're competent, licensed, and won't kill anyone.