SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Surgical ability by PGY

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by DrDude, May 14, 2008.

1. DrDude

DrDude Banned Banned

Mar 10, 2007
    Could you guys give me an idea of what procedures and operations you were comfortable doing on your own with each successive year in GS residency?

I realize residencies are different in how early and how often they let residents operate but I just want a general idea of what GS residents should be able to handle at the end of each year from PGY1 to PGY5.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DrDude

DrDude Banned Banned

Mar 10, 2007
  4. BlondeDocteur

BlondeDocteur 10+ Year Member

I think it goes something like this:
    PGY-1: 20%
    PGY-2: 40%
    PGy-3: 60%
    PGY-4: 80%
    PGY-5: all of them, hooray!

But I could be gravely mistaken.
  5. It's really going to depend on your training program, whether or not fellows are present, whether it's academic vs. community, etc.

Plus if you have a top-heavy program you'll get much less operative experience as a junior.

So it's hard to generalize.
  6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    And the operative word here (no pun intended) is "comfortable".

See the other thread in which lots of residents state they are doing cases. There, as well as here, I submit that comfort level and ability to do the case entirely by yourself is something fairly rare during residency.

Most attendings state that it took them 5 years out of training before they felt comfortable.