Surgical Confernces as OMS-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spending $300 to attend a surgical conference as an OMS-1

• Total voters

Spectreman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking about going to a surgical conference at the end of the month because it’s within driving distance, but it’s $270 and I’m just a first-year. I genuinely want to go, so I probably will either way, but I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with this and maybe how to get the most out of it, or if it truly is just a waste of my time.

Members don't see this ad.

@Spectreman What are you hoping to do at this conference? Are you looking for research connections? Just want to get an idea about surgery?

As an MS-1 having to pay, I’d say it’s a waste of time. Is there any chance the school (especially if you’re in a school-run surgery interest group) could pay? If it was free, I’d say sure check it out but even then I don’t know that you’d get a lot out of it.

Reactions: 1 user
@Spectreman What are you hoping to do at this conference? Are you looking for research connections? Just want to get an idea about surgery?

As an MS-1 having to pay, I’d say it’s a waste of time. Is there any chance the school (especially if you’re in a school-run surgery interest group) could pay? If it was free, I’d say sure check it out but even then I don’t know that you’d get a lot out of it.
I’m currently applying to summer research internships at some surgical programs and was thinking I might be able to meet some people there, since it’s the Academic Surgical Congress. Maybe learn some unique things that I can take with me moving forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m currently applying to summer research internships at some surgical programs and was thinking I might be able to meet some people there, since it’s the Academic Surgical Congress. Maybe learn some unique things that I can take with me moving forward.

Honestly, your fund of knowledge at this point is too small to really get much out of it, and most of it would be gibberish. It may help to make connections for research, but even that is very difficult. Your best bet for research would be to talk to faculty at your school.

Also, there's a strong chance ull change ur mind about surgery too. Most students change their mind multiple times throughout medical school. Personally, i wouldnt go.

Yeah, if I’m just going to come off as a jack-ass first year then obviously I would want to avoid that. Dang, I wish I could just go and kind of hang in the back to just observe for free. Academic Surgical Congress seems pretty legit too.

As someone who has gone to a (kinda) similar medical conference for work, I would probably say, based purely on my experience, that it's not really worth it. I went to a Hospital Medicine conference since I work with hospitalists regularly, and while many of the breakout sessions had interesting information, I don't know that they are worth it when you have so much training to go to truly grasp their impact or affect your clinical choices. A lot of the information presented was about the different organizations that sponsor the conference, awards given out, and small clinical vignettes that are either just snippets of research, or things that I didn't understand the full impact of.

Although I was still just applying to schools at the time that I went, I can't imagine that 5 months of pre-clinical education would make much of a difference in terms of making the material more relevant/relatable, but I could be wrong.

However, its entirely possible that your surgical conference will be very different from the Hospital Medicine conference I went to. Maybe it will be more relevant for a medical student than mine was. The other reason that could make it worthwhile going is to begin networking. I am not very good at meeting new people, especially when I'm by myself at a conference full of established physicians and I'm nobody to them, so I met next to nobody. But, if you are more of an outgoing person that can make connections with people you meet there and begin your networking early, I'd say that could certainly be a strong reason to go. As the adage goes, 'it's not what you know, but who you know' and if you meet some connected surgeons early in your career, it could help you later on.

those are my 2 cents. Hope whatever decision you make works out for you!

Honestly, your fund of knowledge at this point is too small to really get much out of it, and most of it would be gibberish. It may help to make connections for research, but even that is very difficult. Your best bet for research would be to talk to faculty at your school.

Also, there's a strong chance ull change ur mind about surgery too. Most students change their mind multiple times throughout medical school. Personally, i wouldnt go.
Would putting my attendance on my CV hold any value? They talk about giving you a certificate of attendance. Someone else told me you eventually have to list any medical conference you attended on your ERAS. Seems like the consensus is "don’t go".

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback, by the way.

Would putting my attendance on my CV hold any value? They talk about giving you a certificate of attendance. Someone else told me you eventually have to list any medical conference you attended on your ERAS. Seems like the consensus is "don’t go".

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback, by the way.

It doesn't really holds any value on your CV or ERAS application, unless you are presenting during these conferences.

Look to see if your school has reimbursement for conferences. It would be good to show interest for Your CV but I wouldn’t spend that much money

It doesn't really holds any value on your CV or ERAS application, unless you are presenting during these conferences.
Agreed.

Go if you want to go for personal interest, but don’t expect to get much out of it as far as ERAS or residency is concerned. It miiiiight help as far as networking for research opportunities, but I’m not totally sure it’s the right setting for this (surgeons will be expecting to interact with their own colleagues, not aspiring ones).

Look to see if your school has reimbursement for conferences. It would be good to show interest for Your CV but I wouldn’t spend that much money

Not sure who told you this, but attending a conference won't really do anything for your CV or ERAS. Research is probably the best way to show interest.

“OMS-1?” Son put the Kool aid down. It’s not too late.

Not sure who told you this, but attending a conference won't really do anything for your CV or ERAS. Research is probably the best way to show interest.
Obviously... it’s also common sense that it will show a pattern of interest. Will it make or break your app? No. Will it show that you’ve had a long term interest? Sure.

Thanks for the residency app advice bro ‘preciate it

Obviously... it’s also common sense that it will show a pattern of interest. Will it make or break your app? No. Will it show that you’ve had a long term interest? Sure.

Thanks for the residency app advice bro ‘preciate it

Im already in residency, and ive also been part of the application selection process. Trust me. Attending a conference as a first year med student wont matter at all for your CV or ERAS. No one cares that it shows interest, and no residency is going to pick you over another applicant because you attended one, if all else equal.

Im already in residency, and ive also been part of the application selection process. Trust me. Attending a conference as a first year med student wont matter at all for your CV or ERAS. No one cares that it shows interest, and no residency is going to pick you over another applicant because you attended one, if all else equal.

Cool. I never said you will be picked over someone else. I also said not to spend money, that’s because it won’t make a big difference. Read a little too far into my statement. NMRP has 66% of programs value interest in the specialty. Different specialities have different thoughts on that. From an ACGME FM PD, they specifically listed conferences in FM to me. I also agree 1st year is even less important, but it does not invalidate that it wouldn’t hurt IF IT WAS FREE. Of course research is much more important but conference is easy fluff if it falls in your lap.

Cool. I never said you will be picked over someone else. I also said not to spend money, that’s because it won’t make a big difference. Read a little too far into my statement. NMRP has 66% of programs value interest in the specialty. Different specialities have different thoughts on that. From an ACGME FM PD, they specifically listed conferences in FM to me. I also agree 1st year is even less important, but it does not invalidate that it wouldn’t hurt IF IT WAS FREE. Of course research is much more important but conference is easy fluff if it falls in your lap.

You make a fair point.

I went to a psych conference once as a 3rd year. It was truthfully difficult to follow at many times. As a first year it would literally have been akin to watching a foreign movie without subtitles. Save your money for conferences until you're in your clerkships.

Academic Surgical Congress is the joint conference for the Association for Academic Surgery and the Society of University Surgeons. It is probably one of the largest conferences that I see with significant medical student attendance in terms of presenting research in surgery. Virtually every PD of a general surgery program is floating around somewhere as well. Personally I would go since it is close by. If nothing else, it might spur your thoughts as to what types of research are out there in surgery that is doable for students and residents. At best you might meet some people that will inspire you to go into surgery. Highly doubtful that it would help your application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Academic Surgical Congress is the joint conference for the Association for Academic Surgery and the Society of University Surgeons. It is probably one of the largest conferences that I see with significant medical student attendance in terms of presenting research in surgery. Virtually every PD of a general surgery program is floating around somewhere as well. Personally I would go since it is close by. If nothing else, it might spur your thoughts as to what types of research are out there in surgery that is doable for students and residents. At best you might meet some people that will inspire you to go into surgery. Highly doubtful that it would help your application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply. I called a couple of surgeon friends and they encouraged me to go as well.