Surgical critical care fellowship after neurosurgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benjerm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What comes out of that?

Members don't see this ad.

Recommend Trauma/Neurocritical Care fellowship after coming out of neurosurgery residency, although depending on your residency program it may not be that helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Recommend Trauma/Neurocritical Care fellowship after coming out of neurosurgery residency, although depending on your residency program it may not be that helpful.

Can you elaborate please

Can you elaborate please
Neuro-critical care has a separate governing body than trauma/surgery critical care. There is a very large difference in what the two realms see.

Neurosurgery as a field requires plenty of ICU as dedicated rotations. At mine specifically we do 6 months between neuro-ICU and surgery ICU. Additionally, we help manage many critically ill patients outside of those 6 months throughout our 7 year residency. I think Kitsunepixie is trying to say that doing a critical care fellowship would only be helpful for very specific purposes. You would need to do that in order to be an ICU attending, which would be very rare for a neurosurgeon to do. You do not need to do a critical care fellowship, or at least I don't, in order to help manage critically ill patients. I could not be a neuro-intensivist without a fellowship by any means, however and would need a fellowship to adequately treat refractory status patients, neuromuscular disease, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you elaborate please

My program director flat out told me that given the amount of trauma/critical care we do from early on in residency at our program, such a fellowship would be unnecessary (or as he said, "a waste of time"). I suppose there are some residencies without a lot of trauma, in which case someone may feel compelled to pursue that fellowship...There are very few centers who specifically recruit neurosurgeons with a trauma/cc fellowship since it is already in our basic skill set. I'm also not sure why a neurosurgeon would want to take on an ICU attending role...

Reactions: 2 users
My program director flat out told me that given the amount of trauma/critical care we do from early on in residency at our program, such a fellowship would be unnecessary (or as he said, "a waste of time"). I suppose there are some residencies without a lot of trauma, in which case someone may feel compelled to pursue that fellowship...There are very few centers who specifically recruit neurosurgeons with a trauma/cc fellowship since it is already in our basic skill set. I'm also not sure why a neurosurgeon would want to take on an ICU attending role...

Our neurosurgeons can do ICU rounds in between doing their regular cases....$$$$

One of my favorite professors in med school was our neuro ICU director. Did a neurosurgery residency followed by an endovascular fellowship then a neurocritical care fellowship. That guy was a beast to say the least.

One of my favorite professors in med school was our neuro ICU director. Did a neurosurgery residency followed by an endovascular fellowship then a neurocritical care fellowship. That guy was a beast to say the least.

It's rare but I can think of a couple programs where a neurosurgeon runs and rotates though the neuro ICU as an attending. The places I can think of only take neurosurgery patients in their neuro ICU while the Neuromuscular/non surgical stroke patients/refractory status go to the MICU.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile