Surgical Critical Care Interviews 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParamedicMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The interview offers are starting to trickle in. Have interviews at Cook County at Harborview so far. Anyone hear from other programs? Let the games begin!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying for just the critical care year or for the two year ACS fellowship? I've heard from those two places you mentioned, and Miami, UF, Fresno UCSF, Christiana, Iowa, ECU, UConn, Rutgers and wright state. I applied to a lot of programs and haven't heard from many that I'm interested in. I'm Impulsively checking my email often during business hours!

I've only applied for one year SCC. Also heard from UCSD, Cooper, Carolinas, UCLA-Harbor, Medstar, and Orlando. I agree about compulsively checking the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only applied for one year SCC. Also heard from UCSD, Cooper, Carolinas, UCLA-Harbor, Medstar, and Orlando. I agree about compulsively checking the email.

OF those I only applied to ORMC and they wanted med school transcripts and a copy of my diploma :nailbiting::nailbiting: Not offered an interview yet. Will keep you posted!

So, I'm really happy to have found this thread (albeit, I'm worried I'm really late to the party). I had found the SCCPDS site earlier and as everything seems outdated, I was under the impression that SCC match was under the NRMP (as it is also listed there). NRMP doesn't open until June 22 (so while letters are requested, personal statement is written, etc...I've just been sitting on them waiting for ERAS. Can anyone offer any insight? No one here in my program seems to have any idea (even the trauma guys). Are all programs affiliated with the SCCPDS while only some are under the NRMP? Are some programs still direct apply? And why does the SCCPDS application also ask if I'm doing NRMP match? Hoping someone can help me out... Thanks!

So, I'm really happy to have found this thread (albeit, I'm worried I'm really late to the party). I had found the SCCPDS site earlier and as everything seems outdated, I was under the impression that SCC match was under the NRMP (as it is also listed there). NRMP doesn't open until June 22 (so while letters are requested, personal statement is written, etc...I've just been sitting on them waiting for ERAS. Can anyone offer any insight? No one here in my program seems to have any idea (even the trauma guys). Are all programs affiliated with the SCCPDS while only some are under the NRMP? Are some programs still direct apply? And why does the SCCPDS application also ask if I'm doing NRMP match? Hoping someone can help me out... Thanks!

Just to reiterate your frustration, there is a lot of conflicting information out there and the best resource is someone who has recently gone through the process. I was fortunate that one of our residents last year was going through the process, so I have been picking her brain constantly. To answer your questions:

My understanding is that SAFAS is the universal application service, but that the match is through NRMP. Meaning that you apply through SAFAS but then later have to register through the NRMP for the actual match. All the documentation (LOR, CV, personal statement, etc) get uploaded to SAFAS, where the programs can download them after you apply. So many of the websites you see for the individual programs are old. Just to humor myself, I emailed one of the ones that seemed to be direct application, but I never heard anything back from them. I don't think your late but you are definitely not early. I had my SAFAS completed in March and started hearing from some places as early as April, however over half of the programs i've applied to I have yet to hear from.

Another resource that was useful was from the EAST website...its a document that talks about fellowships in general. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the help. It's definitely appreciated. Scrambling now to try to get it all uploaded.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the help. It's definitely appreciated. Scrambling now to try to get it all uploaded.
you're welcome...SAFAS is a pain too. I can't tell you how many programs emailed me saying we can't download your CV, can you just email it to us. Ugh

SAFAS is a pain, but it is the only game in town for all but one program I applied to. NRMP will be for the match part only, SAFAS for application. Just to update the list, these are the places that have sent out interviews (or rejections) thus far:

Arizona
Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte)
Christiana
Cook County
Cooper University
Connecticut
East Carolina
Florida
Hawaii
Iowa
Medstar (D.C.)
Miami
Orlando Regional
Rutgers
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA-Harbor
UC-Davis
UNC-Chapel Hill
UW
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Wright State

Adding - VCU and Cincinnati to the list. Seriously, thank you guys for the help. It's nice to get some interviews in the midst of that "I think I just hosed my career" moment.

Arizona
Christiana
Cincinnati
Cook County
Cooper University
Connecticut
East Carolina
Florida
Hawaii
Iowa
Medstar (D.C.)
Miami
Orlando Regional
Rutgers
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA-Harbor
UC-Davis
UNC-Chapel Hill
UW
Vanderbilt
VCU
Wake Forest
Wright State

Here's a few more:

Arizona
Christiana
Cincinnati
Cook County
Cooper University
Connecticut
East Carolina
Florida
Hawaii
Iowa
Medstar (D.C.)
Miami
Northwestern
Oregon Health Sciences
Orlando Regional
Rutgers
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA-Harbor
UC-Davis
UNC-Chapel Hill
UT-San Antonio
UW
Vanderbilt
VCU
Wake Forest
Wright State
Yale

Couple more

Arizona
Christiana
Cincinnati
Cook County
Cooper University
Connecticut
East Carolina
Emory
Florida
Hawaii
Iowa
Jefferson
Louisville

Medstar (D.C.)
Miami
MUSC
Northwestern
Oregon Health Sciences
Orlando Regional
Rutgers
Savannah
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA-Harbor
UC-Davis
UNC-Chapel Hill
UT-San Antonio
UW
Vanderbilt
VCU
Wake Forest
Washington U. - St. Louis
Wright State
Yale

OK......how's everyones rank list coming along??????

Sounds like everyone is pretty happy at my institution. I'm heading to Seattle next year - Harborview.

I have a question re: the safas application timeline.

For 2018 entry the application opens Jan 4 2017. When does the application service actually let you submit the application. Some have told me its later in spring, but I havent seen any evidence of that on the website.

Would really appreciate any advice.

thanks

I have a question re: the safas application timeline.

For 2018 entry the application opens Jan 4 2017. When does the application service actually let you submit the application. Some have told me its later in spring, but I havent seen any evidence of that on the website.

Would really appreciate any advice.

thanks

i'm pretty sure you can submit it when you're done with it. I think I had seen an arbitrary submission date later on from the time when SAFAS opened that was different from the date when it opened, but i think i had the option to just submit it all when it was completed.