orbitsurgMD

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Do most residents get surgical loupes????

and if so what power do they get it at?

Thanks
Yes, most do get them, and for a resident, 2.5x Galilean seem to be popular because of the low cost. Loupes with roof prism telescopes are generally available in higher magnifications but typically cost twice as much.

MR1

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I disagree, I think it depends on your program because some programs like mine have a resident set of loupes so no one at my program bought their own.

orbitsurgMD

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I disagree, I think it depends on your program because some programs like mine have a resident set of loupes so no one at my program bought their own.
You are a professional. It is a good idea to buy equipment you can use in your profession. Do you really want to wear a borrowed pair of loupes?

Buying a basic Galilean set won't cost you all that much. If you wear glasses, you can have them glazed with your prescription lenses (which you can't do with a communal pair unless they are headband-mounted.)

MstaKing10

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I used a borrowed set of loupes during residency and did just fine. While I agree that having your own pair would be ideal, I also understand the financial constraints on residents. If you have the extra cash laying around, sure, go for it. Otherwise, you can hold off for now. It really isn't one of those things you absolutely must have as a resident, particularly if you end up specializing in glaucoma or cornea where your need for them is extremely limited.

amandil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hello, wanted to bump this thread and ask for some advice.

I'm a resident and I'm considering buying loupes to get as much learning as I can from peds and plastics cases. That being said, I imagine loupes would be useful as an attending, so I figure I might as well buy them now when I can still get resident pricing, and just buy 1 pair overall instead of 2 pairs over time.

So my question is: what loupes would I want to buy now, that I can still use as an attending and not need to upgrade? Is there a significant difference between the galilean and roof-prism types? x2.5 or x3.5 mag? Does it matter which specialty they are for?

As a side note -- I have never found a pair of eyeglasses that doesn't slip down my nose. I really hope this isn't an issue with loupes frames, and would appreciate any tips in selecting loupes that won't do this!

Visionary

Medical Retinologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone have experience with the Heine C 2.3 binocular loupes (not the headband ones)?
Used them throughout residency. Good price, portable, and very effective for most things. Recently sold them to a VR fellow who uses them for buckles. They get the Visionary Seal of Approval. :thumbup:

Nov 20, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Used them throughout residency. Good price, portable, and very effective for most things. Recently sold them to a VR fellow who uses them for buckles. They get the Visionary Seal of Approval. :thumbup:

Thanks! An attending that I had followed used these for a few minor procedures, he is a comprehensive/glaucoma doc. He recommended them as well.

bulldoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i bought a pair of Designs for Vision loupes, $1000 investment, 2.5x. same kind my attending used, so that swayed me. i figure i can use them for a long time, so it would be worth it.

i used a departmental stipend to purchase them...

digitalsideburn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A number of residents in my program have purchased loupes from this site:
http://www.loupedirect.com/

I went with the 2x magnification and the longest working distance and have been very happy with them. You can't beat them for $200 + shipping. Not worth buying anything more expensive unless you are sure you are going to do oculoplastics.