surgical oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anemia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get a list of surgical oncology fellowships besides the ones that are SSO accredited? I looked at sso and there are only 12 or so programs in the country. Is surgical oncology difficult to match in? Any insights how many people go into this field? Three years seems like a lot is it financially worth it? I am in my first year of surgery and woulld like to know. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, there are very few programs out there, and there's little point in doing a nonaccredited fellowship.

It's not financially worth it, but there are other reasons people go into surgical oncology.

Does anybody know anyone who applied to this and did not get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some surgical oncology fellowships out there that are not in the SSO match. However, since they aren't, they can be tough to find. They are also somewhat a question as to whether they are worth doing since without the SSO stamp of approval, you don't get automatic candidacy for the SSO. This might not be a problem if you don't want to be an academic, but if you do (which the majority of those doing the fellowship at least start out with that intention) it might pose a problem.

Surg. onc has gotten steadily more competitive year over year. I am aware of at least one person who didn't get a spot in the SSO match last year (they ended up taking a spot in the NIH), and just by the numbers, there are many others, since one of my friends in the match last year guessed that there were probably >80 people total on the interview circuit all told (although some of these applicants weren't very competitive in their opinion) and in total there are about 40 spots spread out over the 15 programs. That isn't an official count. No idea how to get an official count, merely one person's guesstimate.

So what if you are not really interested in going into acedemia and just want to do surg onc in a metro area? Will these non SSI accredited Surg Onc fellowships give you enough exposure to make you a compatent surgical oncologist?

Surgical Oncology is a very nice specialty.
One case can be defined into multiple procedure in one session.
For example:
a left hemicolectomy can be done with a resection of hepatic resection of colon cancer seeding.

Very few emergencies and few calls.

I was told recently by one of my friends who was rotating in Sloan that surgical oncology is attainable, specially, if you do gen surgery residency in a program that rotates their residents in this institution.

But, research background is a must to match in this specialty.
Surgical Oncology being a very academically oriented field.