1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

Surgical Oncology

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by 2003doc, Nov 7, 2002.

1. 2003doc

2003doc Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi-

I am a M-4 G. Surgery applicant who just completed an externship in surgical oncology and I absolutely loved it. I found the operations to be exciting, I was very interested in the pathology, and I loved dealing with the patients. I realize that it is a fairly competitive field with few spots offered each year. I am looking for advice concerning what factors are important for obtaining a fellowship. Also, does anyone know of programs that are heavy in surg. onc. during residency/ where residents get to spend several months on such a service?

All advice is appreciated

-A

2. droliver

Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm proud to say that we have a very strong emphasis on oncology here @ the University of Louisville. Two of my fellow graduating chiefs are starting fellowships in it next year @ Memorial Sloan-Kettering & Miami. The current president of the American Breast Society was here until this month (he just assumed the chief of surgery @ the University of Arkansas). Another staff was past president of the Head & Neck Society & he was recently joined in practice by the Chief of Endocrine Surgery from Vanderbilt who just relocated here to assume an endowed chair. In the past decade or so, I think we've had 7 do surg onc., all @ the MD-Anderson in Houston until the last 3 (2 of which went to Sloan-Kettering). Dr. Polk, our chair and a surgical oncologist, has been one of the world leaders in Melanoma tx. for the past 25 years. There is a NCI desighnation planned for what is to be a cancer only hospital here in the next 3-4 years to be operated by the university & a private hospital corp. jointly.

Matching into oncology is very competative due to the few training positions. It helps to have publications, & many applicants take 1-2 off to do lab time during their surgery residency. Connections & program reputation are very important for this specialty (especially @ the big 2: MD-Anderson & Sloan) & I would strongly encourage you to consider a University Program with a strong oncology division to enhance your chances.

In the South I would reccomend (by reputation) UAB, Florida,Emory,Vanderbilt, or here @ Louisville for your interest in this field

3. OP
    OP
    2003doc

2003doc Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Dr. Oliver-

Thanks for the advice- I didn't realize the Dr. Polk's interest is melanoma... got to see a little of that while I was away and found it very interesting. I am looking forward to interviewing at Louisville- I'll be up in the middle of January (complete with a scarf and coat :) )

-A