Surgical Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2003doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I am a M-4 G. Surgery applicant who just completed an externship in surgical oncology and I absolutely loved it. I found the operations to be exciting, I was very interested in the pathology, and I loved dealing with the patients. I realize that it is a fairly competitive field with few spots offered each year. I am looking for advice concerning what factors are important for obtaining a fellowship. Also, does anyone know of programs that are heavy in surg. onc. during residency/ where residents get to spend several months on such a service?

All advice is appreciated

-A

Members don't see this ad.

I'm proud to say that we have a very strong emphasis on oncology here @ the University of Louisville. Two of my fellow graduating chiefs are starting fellowships in it next year @ Memorial Sloan-Kettering & Miami. The current president of the American Breast Society was here until this month (he just assumed the chief of surgery @ the University of Arkansas). Another staff was past president of the Head & Neck Society & he was recently joined in practice by the Chief of Endocrine Surgery from Vanderbilt who just relocated here to assume an endowed chair. In the past decade or so, I think we've had 7 do surg onc., all @ the MD-Anderson in Houston until the last 3 (2 of which went to Sloan-Kettering). Dr. Polk, our chair and a surgical oncologist, has been one of the world leaders in Melanoma tx. for the past 25 years. There is a NCI desighnation planned for what is to be a cancer only hospital here in the next 3-4 years to be operated by the university & a private hospital corp. jointly.

Matching into oncology is very competative due to the few training positions. It helps to have publications, & many applicants take 1-2 off to do lab time during their surgery residency. Connections & program reputation are very important for this specialty (especially @ the big 2: MD-Anderson & Sloan) & I would strongly encourage you to consider a University Program with a strong oncology division to enhance your chances.

In the South I would reccomend (by reputation) UAB, Florida,Emory,Vanderbilt, or here @ Louisville for your interest in this field

Hi Dr. Oliver-

Thanks for the advice- I didn't realize the Dr. Polk's interest is melanoma... got to see a little of that while I was away and found it very interesting. I am looking forward to interviewing at Louisville- I'll be up in the middle of January (complete with a scarf and coat :) )

-A