Jan 22, 2014
the computer
Status
Medical Student
I am interested in doing research. However, my interest is in surgery. Very specifically, I'm interested in the surgical options regarding ectopic pregnancy. I don't know if there is any way for me to actually pursue this as a medical student, but I thought I should ask here for advice. I don't even know where to get started with something like this, if it is even a possibility. Literally any advice or suggestions are welcome.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I am interested in doing research. However, my interest is in surgery. Very specifically, I'm interested in the surgical options regarding ectopic pregnancy. I don't know if there is any way for me to actually pursue this as a medical student, but I thought I should ask here for advice. I don't even know where to get started with something like this, if it is even a possibility. Literally any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Are you an incoming medical student? If so, search out your schools surgical or OB/Gyn departments (probably in gyn surgery or something similar) and try and reach out to professors/attending physicians who are conducting research in that field and see if they have projects similar to your interest.

Reactions: eteshoe
OP
pandadawn
Jan 22, 2014
the computer
Status
Medical Student
Are you an incoming medical student? If so, search out your schools surgical or OB/Gyn departments (probably in gyn surgery or something similar) and try and reach out to professors/attending physicians who are conducting research in that field and see if they have projects similar to your interest.
Oops! Current medical student. I will update my profile here.

Reactions: AlteredScale

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Honestly as an incoming medical student it matters way more that you just try to get involved in some kind of research and learn as much as you can about appropriate research methods. It's great to have an interest but I'd try to avoid being so specific in what you want to/are willing to get involved in. Additionally, it's hard as a medical student to identify clinical questions that need answering. In this case (and I'm genuinely asking because I have no clue--I've repressed all my memories about ob/gyn) what is the clinical question you want to answer about surgical management of ectopic pregnancy?

GoodWillShunting

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Look up the faculty at your hospital/school and look at their research interests. Send emails to meet, learn more about it. Ask around for help.

You can also send an email to ask to shadow them, and while there, ask about what types of research they do, and when you're done, send a follow up email thanking them for having you, and reminding them of your convo regarding the research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Waldeinsamkeit

5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2014
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
I just sent emails to professors in areas I was interested and got placed in a few projects. I am assuming most institutions will have someone doing something in the vein of your interest, but finding an exact match is difficult. Also, I would jump on an existing project or something in your principle investigator's area of interest, as those projects will more likely get done/published. If you want any more advice, feel free to message me. Good luck!

Reactions: plukfelder2017