surgical residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tool_fan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is General Surgery

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what I've been told by my program director, being AOA is basically only "necessary" if you want to go to the top 15 or so programs in the country. AOA will always make you more competitive at a program. Another thing considered important is your grade/shelf exam in surgery. Research will also strengthen your application, but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you have an interest in it (then again, I suppose you have that interest if you want to apply to big-name programs ;) ).

just curious here, does not being in a top program affect my future career prospects assuming i have no intrest in academic medicine ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Being in a top program can also assist with getting a better / any fellowship post residency if this is something that matters to you. Then again if you want to be a Gen Surgeon and not do a fellowship it doesnt matter much at all if you dont match / dont want to be at a top program.

ooh yeah, thanks. totally forgot about that little thing called a fellowship for a moment. thanks for reminding me haha

can someone tell me a lil' sumpin-sumpin about AOA??? I don't know much about it