Surgical residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iserson mentions that "rarely, if ever, will an osteopathic graduate be allowed to enter, or finish, an ACGME general surgery or surgery subspecialty residency." Does this mean that, as a DO, I really have no chance at such a residency? I mean, I know of plenty of DO's who completed ACGME surgery and am curious if this is just hyperbole on the part of Mr. Iserson or if the stats and the realities bear this out.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Idiopathic
Iserson mentions that "rarely, if ever, will an osteopathic graduate be allowed to enter, or finish, an ACGME general surgery or surgery subspecialty residency." Does this mean that, as a DO, I really have no chance at such a residency? I mean, I know of plenty of DO's who completed ACGME surgery and am curious if this is just hyperbole on the part of Mr. Iserson or if the stats and the realities bear this out.

Hi there,
Iserson is woefully out of date on this one. General Surgery, while making a bit of a comeback, is not that competitive. If you do well in medical school, do well on your General Surgery clerkship, pass your boards with decent scores (above the means), you have a good shot at General Surgery on the allopathic side. That is not to say that you can waltz into the more competitive programs (not even the allopaths can do this)but that is to say that you can get into good solid programs on the allopathic side. You can also do some "audition" rotations during your fourth year at the places that you might like to apply to. This gives the program directors a good idea of your capabilities.

In 2003, soon to be 2004, the difference between having an MD and a DO is pretty much a matter of the letters behind your name and nothing more. I have a DO colleague here with me in General Surgery (he rocks in the OR and ICUs) and DOs are in every residency program here. You probably need to take USMLE in addition to COMLEX but other than that, keep your grades up and your interest high. The numbers of DOs in the past were pretty low but today, DO schools are starting up at a record pace so the number of DOs out there is increasing. If a program makes a great distinction between DO and MD, steer clear of that one. Trust me, you don't want to be attempting General Surgery under people who are so out of date.

Good luck and do some research with the chair of Surgery at your medical school. He or she will be able to steer you toward programs that are enlightened enough to know that DO and MD are equivalent medical degrees.

njbmd:)

This affirms what I pretty much already knew to be true. It just scared me to unwrap the shrinkwrap from that book and read that paragraph...i already planned on taking USMLE and plan on being pretty competitive, so it is just a matter of where I can get my foot in the door, I suppose. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a follow up: does anyone know of any DO success in obtaining pediatric surgery fellowships? I know that there arent that many out there (~30/year), but how competitive is it, really?

There are probabally one or two out there, if not just give it some time, maby it'll be you.

You can definitely attain a decent allopathic gen surg residency. Some of the more well known academic institutions are still heavily resistant to osteopaths. However an outstanding audition rotation can/does change minds. If you are enthusiastic, respectful, contributing member of the team you will be recognized. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Man, you DO's know your shiit."

Best of luck. USMLE is a requisite for allo surg. Letters from well respected folks in the field will pull serious weight.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

i have encountered 1 DO general surgery resident after interviewing at 12 programs so far this year. this resident has plans for a competitive fellowship too.

For now, do well on the USMLE. Do away rotations. Get LOR's from well known surgeons, particularly PD or chairmen, write a killer personal statement. put forth a 100% effort and you never know what may come of it unless you try. good luck.

Thanks guys, I fell pretty good about my prep for the boards and my pre-clinicals are outstanding. Just have to get through rotations and shine, I guess.

Originally posted by pba
NO DO'S HERE IN DETROIT
OLD SCHOOL IS RIGHT
WE STILL CLOSE THE FASCIA WITH SURGICAL STEEL
HAHA

I'd rather sell my body for sustenance in Tijuana than live in Detroit. Did know of a recent DO resident at HFH GS program who left for urology.

Ba ding